Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Standard

bbowser

The latest off my bench.  Revell kit went together very easily.  I'm a sucker for base model cars so that's how I did this one, blackwalls, one taillight, etc.  Harry would probably give me grief for no rearview mirror, but if I'm not mistaken those weren't standard equipment until much later so I left it off.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

DSCN2527.JPG

DSCN2528.JPG

DSCN2530.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2533.JPG

DSCN2531.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2530.JPG

DSCN2531.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

Edited by bbowser
replaced pics deleted from PB

I like everything about this, from the simplicity of the subject to the very clean execution.  Just the right amount of shine to the paint, too.

By the way, what color did you use for the engine?  It looks spot-on.

I like everything about this, from the simplicity of the subject to the very clean execution.  Just the right amount of shine to the paint, too.

By the way, what color did you use for the engine?  It looks spot-on.

Agreed!

very cool -even has the right '' stance''      my suggestion would be blackwash the grill and paint the little boots around the bumper irons.they were black rubber- besides that its perfect.

Good catch, I did blackwash the body colored sections but not the middle, and the boots should be easy.  Thanks!

The engine is Hunter Green, Krylon I think.

I absolutely loved it!!!

She has that stance that makes those cars so cool looking , that "get out of my way" stance. 

I think it's a great representation of a repainted car, or a car someone ordered in Mandarin Maroon, as the Standard was only available in Black, Cloudmist Gray, and Lyon Blue. 

Mine is going to be black, and I will use the whitewalls. But for now i'm trying to resurrect a '48 Convertible kit I got started in a trade. 

I'm nearing completion of the same kit myself. After doing some research, I think Revell messed up a little; they call it a "Standard" coupe but include chrome trim rings for the wheels, radio, heater, whitewalls, oil filter, etc.

I think Revell did great on the kit. And I'm not what you would call an avid Revell builder. Like AMT better myself. 

All those things, the trim rings, oil filter, radio, heater, well are all things the car could be delivered to the owner equipped with. Not to mention the Standard was only available in three colors "by the book" and Mandarin Maroon was not one of them. 

Whitewall tires were an option even on Deluxe Fords. As it was the heater, that could be of the hot air type, or the hot water type. 

Any 1940 Ford could be equipped with a very nice selection of accessories, like a governor for the carburetor, the new single button radio, licence plate adjustable chrome frames, locking gas cap, heavy duty air cleaner, both sides side mirrors, spotlights, seat covers, road lights, Center guards and end guards for the bumper, wide whitewall tires, only available in 4 ply type, and even matching color fender shields (skirts).

If Revell had done a car with zero equipment it wouldn't represent well the average car, as the dealers loved to add accessories to the cars to make a extra buck.

If you were patient, and had a few Dollars extra, you could even had your '40 Ford with a Mercury color for extra spark!! 

I think Revell did great on the kit. And I'm not what you would call an avid Revell builder. Like AMT better myself. 

All those things, the trim rings, oil filter, radio, heater, well are all things the car could be delivered to the owner equipped with. Not to mention the Standard was only available in three colors "by the book" and Mandarin Maroon was not one of them. 

Whitewall tires were an option even on Deluxe Fords. As it was the heater, that could be of the hot air type, or the hot water type. 

Any 1940 Ford could be equipped with a very nice selection of accessories, like a governor for the carburetor, the new single button radio, licence plate adjustable chrome frames, locking gas cap, heavy duty air cleaner, both sides side mirrors, spotlights, seat covers, road lights, Center guards and end guards for the bumper, wide whitewall tires, only available in 4 ply type, and even matching color fender shields (skirts).

If Revell had done a car with zero equipment it wouldn't represent well the average car, as the dealers loved to add accessories to the cars to make a extra buck.

If you were patient, and had a few Dollars extra, you could even had your '40 Ford with a Mercury color for extra spark!! 

Great info Tulio.  If I'd known I probably would have painted it gray.  It is a very nice kit and I had no trouble at all with assembly.