Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 mercury tire and wheel suggestions

I'm looking for aftermarket or kit sources for putting wide performance tires on a 49 mercury...but with a wide whitewall.  It's a custom build with a turbo Porsche V-10, so I'm talking mini-tub width on the rear...but I don't want the super skinny sidewall like you'd see on most performance tires.  But I also don't want the high sidewall look like stock...somewhere in between.  Everything I can find (kit or aftermarket) is either wide tread and skinny sidewall, or enough sidewall but narrow tread.  I am toying with cutting a pair of leftover kit tires down to make one wider tire, and then cast it, but it isnt going well.  Any thoughts?

Here's sort of the look I want...not too much sidewall, but enough for the stripe...

d269ddcd4c3656a76c42c5cfa87807b5.jpg

What I DON'T want...

df15f0bd5db99d30587c6e3585694843.jpg

bf86b9e09a736998431bad02b9213ead.jpg

I don't know if it is what you're looking for, but the '56 Nomad kit with the green body pictured on the top has the Revell large diameter wheels and white wall tires for them. These mybe to low of a profile for what you're after but it may be a place to start.

I am toying with cutting a pair of leftover kit tires down to make one wider tire, and then cast it, but it isnt going well.  Any thoughts?

The other magazine did an article in their latest issue telling how to make wider tires, maybe that will be of some help.

• 1 month later...

Find the tire that looks right cast a mold then cast a resin part modify that part the way you want then cast  a mold agin cast the part from resin or the tire rubber and your set. It's not hard takes a little time easyer if you have a lathe. Good luck