Model Cars Magazine Forum

M-B 300 SL "Targa Florio " 1:12

Hi

This is a well known very bad Revell/monogram  model. But I got one to a very good price so I decided to do it the easy way. I made a curbside. Only one door can be opend.

The body parts is divided in a upper and lower part so there will be nasty joints on the front and rear fenders, I don´t know what they was thinking when making this kit.

Someone on the net cut opened  a big hole in the lower part and put in the interior pice from the bottom, so did I and it worked rather well.

The grill and the rims are modified , the dash and interior has a little extra too .Decals from the sparebox, old style German license plate printed out from the net.

Painted with Tamiya spray can white and clear.

I thought it would look like an old Targa Florio racer so this is it. :-)

GREAT work on a terrible kit -- so good you can't tell how bad the kit is. Fixing the grille star makes a huge difference – what was your technique?.

Hi Skip and thanks :-)

The grille was awful! I used this tool on the picture, maybe it´s called a scriber ?! I gently cut off the star on the top and bottom, and also replaced the middle grill "wings" with plastic card.

Also I used a saw to make the star cylinder shorter the I put mesh behind it, I hope you understand what I mean :-)

Thomas

Got it, thanks for showing what you did. Do you have more interior pictures? Also, very smart move to use knockoff wheel spinners to replace the hubcaps, which are just as bad as the grille.

Edited by sjordan2

Hi Skip

The shift lever is scratched with a alurod and leftovers from the scrap box. And you are right regarding the parkingbrake ! As I said, a real sh*t model !! The manual said it should be between the seats, but when looking

at my refs I can see it should be to the left of the seat, I wasn´t aware of this at all :-(

Hi Skip

The shift lever is scratched with a alurod and leftovers from the scrap box. And you are right regarding the parkingbrake ! As I said, a real sh*t model !! The manual said it should be between the seats, but when looking

at my refs I can see it should be to the left of the seat, I wasn´t aware of this at all :-(

The whole kit reminds me of the old story about the blind men describing a camel to each other. The shift lever, for example, looks like someone's description of the original gooseneck long shift on the first 50 Gullwings, only at a teeny scale; the original shift lever was mounted directly over the bell housing and ran back more into the interior.    

The only other thing I would mention for the benefit of future builders is that the luggage rail should really be in 2 parts – the curved upper part is its own piece and goes around the rear upper part, and the horizontal rail is a separate piece that mounts to the floor of the baggage deck, and goes up & down.

Edited by sjordan2