Model Cars Magazine Forum

building 1969 - 70 Roadrunner in 1:25 scale

I would like to build a trio of roadrunners. AMT only offers a 68. Revell has a 69,70 but they are 1-24. My collection is 1-25. My other Mopars are also 1-25. Could I hear from Mopar fans about the difference

between the the 3 years. Where to get parts and anything I should know.

You have a few options. First are you ok with resin? AMT did a 69 GTX and a few people offered Resin conversion parts to turn one into a Roadrunner. A 70 Roadrunner is also available in resin but is only the body parts. It is a direct copy of the Johan kit but donor parts may be an issue.

In plastic Johan did both the 69 and 70 models in 1/25 plastic. They also did the GTXs. The most common is the 69 Roadrunner. They are all over eBay and get about 50-75 on average. The 69 GTX is rarer and gets a lot more. For the 70 kits the 70 GTX is more common than the 70 Roadrunner. I just watched a 70 Roadrunner that was busted up some sell for $130 but another nice one that is built up is offered at $200 but no buyers. 70 Superbirds from Johan are way more common and share many parts. Anything Johan is going to be more money if you are not familiar with them.

You have a few options. First are you ok with resin? AMT did a 69 GTX and a few people offered Resin conversion parts to turn one into a Roadrunner. A 70 Roadrunner is also available in resin but is only the body parts. It is a direct copy of the Johan kit but donor parts may be an issue.

In plastic Johan did both the 69 and 70 models in 1/25 plastic. They also did the GTXs. The most common is the 69 Roadrunner. They are all over eBay and get about 50-75 on average. The 69 GTX is rarer and gets a lot more. For the 70 kits the 70 GTX is more common than the 70 Roadrunner. I just watched a 70 Roadrunner that was busted up some sell for $130 but another nice one that is built up is offered at $200 but no buyers. 70 Superbirds from Johan are way more common and share many parts. Anything Johan is going to be more money if you are not familiar with them.

agreed with all the above.

The johan 70 roadrunner  will put a serious  dent in the piggy bank. So will a 69 GTX  if you decide on them as well.

The guys are right.  I have a Johan 70 RR build up from my dads old collection...in my opinion there very nice models and look very good but still they command a pretty high price tag.  I like to try to keep all mine 1/25th scale as well...it can be tough to do sometimes though.  Johan and MPC made some really nice Mopars in the 60s/70s era but there not the easiest to find or afford these days...wish they were.

Southern Motorsport Hobbies sells a resin copy of the JoHan '70 Road Runner body.  There are photos and reviews of the Runner on their website. Gives you a glimpse of what the resin route entails.

Hart's Parts resin offers a '69 Road Runner Grille for the AMT '69 GTX.

I have bought products (but not these in particular) from both sellers without issue.

Edited by Dodge Driver

Southern Motorsport Hobbies sells a resin copy of the JoHan '70 Road Runner body.  There are photos and reviews of the Runner on their website. Gives you a glimpse of what the resin route entails.

I have bought products (but not these in particular) from both sellers without issue.

Does anyone repro the JoHan '69 GTX grille? Because we need it for, y'know, the AMT '69 GTX.

Does anyone repro the JoHan '69 GTX grille? Because we need it for, y'know, the AMT '69 GTX.

Hart's does have a '69 GTX grille for the AMT kit. In Hart's words it is "correct" for the GTX convertible and I'd assume for the hardtop as well. More informed eyes than mine will have to determine the grille's viability.

If you do check the grille out Snake, let me know what you think of it. I'm always looking to expand my mental library of aftermarket references.

Edited by Dodge Driver

On 4/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, Dodge Driver said:

Hart's does have a '69 GTX grille for the AMT kit. In Hart's words it is "correct" for the GTX convertible and I'd assume for the hardtop as well. More informed eyes than mine will have to determine the grille's viability.

If you do check the grille out Snake, let me know what you think of it. I'm always looking to expand my mental library of aftermarket references.

Harts Parts Grille.

69gtx%20grill.JPG?height=150&width=200

Sorry, it doesnt look anything  like a Johan GTX grill

DSC00900.thumb.JPG.b9312c5c546bfd06a5b75

Edited by gtx6970

Several years ago, I bought one of those bodies, and I am very pleased. I scrapped an old built-up JoHan Superbird, and I have some Keith Marks Decals. Combined, I should get a decent model out of it. Since I bought this set-up, I decided not to build my Revell '70, and sold it off.

Harts Parts Grille.

DSC00901.thumb.JPG.80bd7b36785cda178070cDSC00900.thumb.JPG.b9312c5c546bfd06a5b75

Bill, you are absolutely right concerning JoHan vs AMT with that grille issue. I have an unbuilt JoHan '69 GTX. The only thing keeping me from building it, is that the body is awful brittle. I took it out of the box, and pieces were broken off of the front end, Frankly, what I really want to do is to cast the body and other parts associated with it, and combine it with the AMT engine, chassis, and interior. Of course if I do this, a new kit will be offered.

Several years ago, I bought one of those bodies, and I am very pleased. I scrapped an old built-up JoHan Superbird, and I have some Keith Marks Decals. Combined, I should get a decent model out of it. Since I bought this set-up, I decided not to build my Revell '70, and sold it off.

Ron, If you have the Johan bird, You have everything you need

EXCEPT, stock roadrunner hood, under hood air box , stock grille and front bumper. I'll ck but I might have a spare front bumper and MAYBE a grille . If I do, just say the word and they are yours .

I'll need a couple days to get to modeling area and dig that one out to ck for spare parts

What ever I don't have as spare ,,,,, I'll gladly loan you mine if you want to copy it in resin . IF you have that capability in house

Edited by gtx6970

Ron, If you have the Johan bird, You have everthing you need

EXCEPT, stock roadrunner hood, underhood air box , stock grille and front bumper. I'll ck but I might have a spare front bumper and MAYBE a grille . If I do, just say the word and they are yours .

I'll need a couple days to get to modeling area and dig that one out to ck for spare parts

What ever I don't have as spare ,,,,, I'll gladly loan you mine if you want to copy it in resin . IF you have that capability in house

I really appreciate the offer. Believe or not, I have everything I need to do a decent build of a '70 Road Runner . The resin parts were not too bad, and I was able to polish everything out to look like styrene. The body kit I got had the grille, hood, and front bumper, and I had the air grabber unit from an old build in my parts box.

Harts Parts Grille.

DSC00901.thumb.JPG.80bd7b36785cda178070cDSC00900.thumb.JPG.b9312c5c546bfd06a5b75

Thanks for clearing that up.

To be fair to Hart's Parts, neither of their AMT GTX grilles are labeled as JoHan related. I thought perhaps the GTX grille was a more correct option.

Your photos show that not to be the case.

Thanks for clearing that up.

To be fair to Hart's Parts, neither of their AMT GTX grilles are labeled as JoHan related. I thought perhaps the GTX grille was a more correct option.

Your photos show that not to be the case.

To be fair, the Harts Parts resin piece looks to be the AMT kit part, not plated. Compared to the nearly unobtanium JoHan piece, it is a lot better than that '68 Road Runner part that ended up in some of the kits. I guess I am lucky, in that the AMT '69 GTX kits I have had the right grille.

To be fair, the Harts Parts resin piece looks to be the AMT kit part, not plated. Compared to the nearly unobtanium JoHan piece, it is a lot better than that '68 Road Runner part that ended up in some of the kits. I guess I am lucky, in that the AMT '69 GTX kits I have had the right grille.

Just to be clear, there is a horrible grille in some AMT GTX kits. There is the so-so grille from Hart's and some AMT GTX kits. The Holy Grail of GTX grilles is the JoHan in gtx6970's photos.

Do I have that right?

Apologies to the OP for dragging his thread off topic.

Just to be clear, there is a horrible grille in some AMT GTX kits. There is the so-so grille from Hart's and some AMT GTX kits. The Holy Grail of GTX grilles is the JoHan in gtx6970's photos.

Do I have that right?

Apologies to the OP for dragging his thread off topic.

Absolutely! The JoHan part is very rare, as complete kits go on that "auction" site for $200-300 bucks right now. If you are able to get just the JoHan 1969 GTX Grille, be prepared to pay big bucks for it.

Absolutely! The JoHan part is very rare, as complete kits go on that "auction" site for $200-300 bucks right now. If you are able to get just the JoHan 1969 GTX Grille, be prepared to pay big bucks for it.

Ive got a couple of them . Not including the one in my builder kit.

I am really thinking of trying my hand at resin casting. And I think this grill might be something I would like to try and get my feet wet with,, so to speak .

DSC00876.JPG

To get this tread back on topic.

AMT for the 68 is a decent start and can be made to look pretty reasonable without a boatload of work .

The Johan 69 isn't terrible to find.,,,and if your patient can be had in the $35-$45 range for a really nice builder ( maybe less if you get lucky)

Expect to pay in the $50 - $75 range for an unbuilt kit depending on the color its molded in . ( white demands a few more bucks than the molded in color versions ). But just as an fyi, ALL the 69 re-issues have the 1970 Interior in them if that matters to you.

Johan made the 70 and it has never been re-issued. Expect to pay in the $100 to  $125 range for a decent complete  builder and upwards of $250-350 ( maybe more ) for unbuilt.

I got REALLY luck on mine , found it on ebay in some weird listing for under $50 about 5 or 6 years ago

I would like to build a trio of roadrunners. AMT only offers a 68. Revell has a 69,70 but they are 1-24. My collection is 1-25. My other Mopars are also 1-25. Could I hear from Mopar fans about the difference

between the the 3 years. Where to get parts and anything I should kn

Most all of my builds are in 1/25th scale, however I just finished a 1/24th scale Coronet R/T and there's really not much difference in size, and I'm hopin' to start the Revell '70 Road Runner kit soon which is also in 1/24th scale.

What I meant to ask - Will the AMT 69 gtx work as a RR replacement, with Harts part grille. Are the cars close enough to be the the same

Kinda sorta basically, I think, if you're not too picky about it. You'll have to take the side trim and emblems off, but that's easier than putting them ON.

Frankly, for a '69 RR, I'd rather hunt for a JoHan, since they're still commonly available, even if the price is getting up there. (The last one I bought was around 2010, and I think I paid $35 for it. That's not a glue bomb, that was a complete, mint, unbuilt, still-sealed '80s-reissue kit.)

I recently saw the JoHan '69 Road Runner kits goin' for 'bout $90, as they're becoming harder to come by lately. $35 in 2010 is seven years ago, and not just the other day.

Yeah, I know, but just last summer I bought a very restorable original--not a reissue, an original with the original correct '69 interior--for $15. They're around, and they're nowhere near as rare as, say '69 or '70 GTXs.

69RoadRunnerD01_zpsaeujucse.jpg

Edited by Snake45