Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Lightweight Galaxie - Romy Hammes Brannan

In addition to the two 62 Super Stock Galaxies that I am working on, I am also working on the Romy Hammes 63 Lightweight Galaxie driven by Dick Brannan.  I am currently working on the chassis and underbody.  I am using the 1960 Starliner as a donor kit as well as a T-Bolt 427 that is modified using some engine parts such as the dual 4bbl from the Starliner kit.  Additionally I am modifying the lightweight interior.  The underbody has red oxide primer as a base with Corinthian White overspray.  The front wheel wells will need to be painted black

Brannan 63 Lightweight (3) (1280x720).jpg

Lightweight Seats.jpg

Lightweight Interior (1280x720).jpg

63 Underbody (1280x720).jpg

63 chassis detail (1280x720).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Yes.  But I am not using the kit interior. I am using the MCW lightweight interior tub.  The lightweight tub give you a wider transmission hump than the tub from the original kit. The 1960 chassis pan around the transmission hump still has to be trimmed down a bit, but it will fit nicely.

Edited by johnwitzke

nice work so far. I'm using the same pieces to do the 63 Daytona winner. Does MCW still make the light weight interior. Looks like the interior trim is what is in the Woods car. The kit interior is the Galaxie 500 interior. I cut off the bottom of that interior and it fits nicely with the 60 hump and floor. I did need to make a new fire wall panel for the 500 interior. Great work keep the picture coming.

As far as I know, MCW still offers the 1963 lightweight interior.   The only drawback is the bucket seats need to be reworked for an accurate looking 63.  The bucket seats are correct however for a 1962 lightweight.

For an accurate looking 425 HP 427 for Brannan's car I opted using the engine from the 1960 Starliner kit engine instead of the high-riser 427 from the T-Bolt kit.  The 1960 kit that has the custom version has the correct looking dual 4bbl carbs along with the chrome valve covers that say "THUNDERBIRD" on them.   Since Brannan's car was the very first 63 lightweight and was assembled at the Ford garage it has pieces that are not necessarily found on later lightweights (i.e. the valve covers).     

Edited by johnwitzke

Great project John.  If you are looking for a header (expansion) tank the Revell Parts Pack 427 engine has nice one.  That is what I used in my 427 Cobra build.

Edited by afx

• 3 weeks later...

Engine and Interior update.  Brannan's interior was code 24 beige.  I used a mix of Ford Rose Beige, Light Beige and custom mix medium beige.  The thin metal trim is break line secured with FastCap two sided clear tape and the floor I used Modelcar Garage vinyl top material also secured with FastCap tape.

The engine will have the appearance of being dusty to replicate the car in raced condition, not a restored show car.  I added oil breathers to the correct Thunderbird valve cover (used on Brannan's car).  Additionally, a custom made Rotunda decal for the oil filter was made by WhoopieKat for me.  That decal is really cool.  A set of shorty type headers from an old Aurora 1/25 scale Ford 427 engine kit were installed to replicate the best I can Balanger headers. I still need to add the starter and connect the coil

Brannan 427 (1280x720).jpg

code 24 interior  (1280x720).jpg

Body, hood and bumpers in primer.  Tamiya white primer applies flawlessly, great stuff!  A few minor flaws that will need to be sorted out before final paint.  The photo doesn't show well but the side trim is very crisp.  All emblems body and hood were removed as per Brannan's car.  Cross flag 427 decal will be applied to the front fenders.  Bumper were de chromed, and the mold lines were carefully removed.  Bumpers will get a coat of acrylic Vallejo black primer then will be shot with Vallejo acrylic metal chrome paint to replicate the aluminum bumpers and trim on the real car.  My plan is to carefully mask all trim and paint with Vallejo metal chrome paint.     

63 brannan primer (1280x720).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke