Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is an update on the progress on my Bell OH-13H Sioux that I started on 12 SEP 15.  This is the kit I'm starting with:
2015-09-02%2022.20.56_zpsyflcdphh.jpg

I wanted to do it as a MASH helicopter, but the Revell kit is an H-13H, not the H-13D that was used in Korea.  I didn't know this at the time that I purchased the kit, so the Revell Marketing Department did their job in capitalizing on the popularity of the TV show "M*A*S*H".  I bought it to do a MASH helicopter, so it worked!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this kit, the framework of the main body is molded in one piece:
2015-09-03%2015.27.22_zpsgkoayhp8.jpg

Yes, it's molded way out of scale, but what are you going to do?  I was at the American Helicopter Museum in West Chester, PA, yesterday; and they have an H-13D in MASH colors.  I checked the main parts of the frame (while no one was looking) & they are about 1" in diameter.  The kit's scale out to about 2.1" in diameter.  I realize why Revell did this, though.  If they molded it in the correct diameter for 1/35 scale, the main support members would be 0.7mm & would be very weak.  Conversely, of they did the main structure in brass, the kit would be very expensive & probably wouldn't sell well.  Balance.

Here is the Lycoming VO-435 engine (or at least it's supposed to be):
2017-05-20%2013.25.07_zpspdnya1uf.jpg

Overview:
2017-05-20%2013.25.37_zpsz7bhfsgw.jpg

Cockpit close-up (well sort of):
2017-05-20%2013.25.51_zpsmqxwutka.jpg

Edited by Jim B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I managed to get some work done on the Sioux in the last few days between work & the rain.  The cockpit is just about done:
2017-06-18%2021.17.02_zps0fkndtme.jpg

And here's a shot of the WIP instrument panel.  Does anyone know what that ring is supposed to be?  Is it a gun sight?
2017-06-18%2021.17.25_zpsps3knbia.jpg

And an overall WIP shot.  The engine & cockpit are not permanently mounted yet.  They're just "posed" for the photo.
 2017-06-18%2021.16.51_zpscxbpxgis.jpg

More to come!  Soon, I hope.

• 1 month later...

Thanks.  It has some issues: the fit isn't great, took for ever to get the white paint to cover, the boom is way out of scale, & the plastic is very soft.  I'm really hoping to finish it up here soon.

Edited by Jim B

• 2 weeks later...

That's a swell looking model, Jim!  It reminds me of the aircraft on the flightline at Fort Rucker back in the '60s (the orange-and-white training colors).  I learned to fly in a Hughes TH-55A Osage (we called it the "Mattel Messerschmitt") painted in that same scheme.

I believe it is. 

I've only built a few choppers thus far and I'm working my way up to trying an old Aurora H-21 Shawnee that I picked up on the cheap from Ebay.  Here's a UH-60 I finished a few years back, wearing "dust off" markings......

DustOff05.jpg

• 1 month later...