Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nasty flooding in Central/Souther IN, MCM forum members affected

There's been some seriously nasty flooding In central and southern Indiana the last couple of days. Indianapolis and pretty much everywhere south have seen their worst flooding in almost a hundred years.

Columbus Indiana, where Abe lives got it bad. The county is under a state of emergency order, and police are describing the town as "closed."

There are a lot of people seriously affected. Send up a good thought for them. If you're inclined, a prayer would be better.

Abe, if you're reading this, sound off so we know you're OK.

Prayers granted Brian! That's terrible news!

Tell me, are they near a river or stream, or is this all groundwater?? If it's the latter, that's INCREDIBLE!!

My house unfortunately sits in a flood plain as I'm just a stone's throw from the river.................Tropical Storm/Hurricane season is here and even though I'm in PA, we get our share of the remnants that can sweep through. :rolleyes:

George, I hate it that you drove all the way over here to get rained out. I know it's not that big of a deal in comparison to what the flooded people are facing, but it's still a pain in the neck. My wife, daughter and I were out at Goodguys on Friday, when the weather was darn near perfect. Here's a link to my pictures. Maybe, in a way, this will make things a bit better for you.

http://public.fotki.com/fbama73/goodguys-i...drags-pictures/

Bill, to answer your question, they have the Flatrock River and Haw Creek (pretty decent size) running through town, so they took a LOT of runoff from up North

My model club is based in Columbus, so I have several friends besides Abe who may be affected. I mentioned Abe because he's the only one I know who posts here.

HEY GUYS I'M HERE!! I didnt get it too bad because I live on a hill in my trailor park. I went out yesterday to take some pics and it was HEARTBRAKING!! The day before yesterday I couldn't get into town or out of where I live. I've got some pics on my photobucket and I'm gonna put a few on here. We are almosty completely surounded by rivers. We've got Hawcreek, Flatrock, White River, and one more I think. Plus the dam in Prince's lakes blew out and flooded that area plus met with White river in Edinburgh and flooded edinburgh REALLY bad. I drove around Edinburgh and it is just terrible there as well. The water from Prince's lakes was flowing down the hill about a mile or 2 away and hitting 31 north then running into white river. It was really wierd driving out onto 31 and seeing a wall of water flowing downhill where theres usually a road. Theres 21 propane tanks in a field from Silgas. The water pushed the tanks through a chainlink fence and some of the tanks are almost a mile away. Some were caught in a drainage pipe. Mapleton and Pleasentgrove in Columbus got it worse than anyone. They sit almost level with Hawcreek and sit down in a valley. I got some pics of that as well.

This pic is taken from Hope Ave. looking down on Mapleton.

FLOODPICS08030.jpg

This is facing west on 5th st. towards Mapleton. This guy has had this boat on blocks since I was like 2 or 3. You can see where the water was by where the mud is. It was all the way over the cars and up to the roofs and completely over some houses.

FLOODPICS08031.jpg

This is Pleasont grove.

FLOODPICS08040.jpg

This is the alley between Mapleton and Pleasentgrove.

FLOODPICS08039.jpg

This is the 7th Street bridge over Hawcreek. Mapleton and Pleasentgrove are just to the right across the creek of where I took this pic.

FLOODPICS08041.jpg

If you wanna see more pics with explanations I have more onmy photobucket.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/abe...ood%20pictures/

THANKS,

ABE DOOLEY

Oh, this is the north entrance to my trailor park.

FLOODPICS08004.jpg

Theres 3 small ponds that sit in between the median and then thers two bigger ponds that sit at the top of the hill and flow down into the smaller ones. The 2 ponds at the top have NEVER flooded until now. I think the drainage pipes got clogged and couldn't flow down. Heres a pic of the top pond. About 7 feet over usual level. The piece of wood you see in this pic is actually a bench that sits about 5 feet from the edge of the water usually.

FLOODPICS08008.jpg

This is the second from top pond. This thing is still flowing out.

FLOODPICS08011.jpg

I live in south-central Indiana and we got hit really hard by the flood also. Our driveway was washed out down by our creek. I was standing in the middle of it when it crested and the water was about knee deep. Both of our creeks were about 300 feet past its banks, and all the vegetation in the woods was washed out because of it. The day after, we drove down to the town south of us which is Spencer, part of the road to get there was washed out and about half of the buisnesses were underwater. The White river was way over its banks too. Around 75 bridges were out in Owen County alone. Ten miles east of us in Paragon, Indiana the whole town is underwater. Also, westbound lanes in Interstate 70 were closed past our exit because a bridge collapsed. The day after all the rain we saw Army helicopters fly by all day, the American Red Cross, the U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers had a few big convoys of cranes and other heavy equiptment. We also saw Civil Defence boats on trailers go by to evacutate people. After all that rain we are fine though.

P.S.None of my models got wet!

Edited by We Haul

WOW!! Thats a whole lotta bridges... We live just 10 miles or less from the Atterbury miltary base and thats all I've heard for the last 3 days is the helos and BIG helos overhead. I've seen a bunch of Super Cobras, Apaches, and Sea Knights. I usually love it when them BIG birds fly over my trailor and rumble stuff off the wall, but I know what they're headin' to and it makes me sad. I went to Jay-c in Edinburgh the day of the floods and I saw so many kids with there parents and you could tell they had to wade in the water with their parents. :lol::D The poor things were wet all the way to their chests. A lot of them looked scared. I just wanted to take them home with me and give 'em a dry place to stay. I also felt sorry for the people who were stranded at the gas stations on 31 because 31 North and 65 South were closed. A lot of people were trying to get home from work to be with their families and were in the parking lot trying to get a hold of them to see if they were okay and couldn't because their power was out. Talk about a mind screw!! I think that would be the worst thing in the world to not know if your family is okay or not. Yet, only 1 person lost their life in this big mess. Thats still too many to me though. And we still have more rain coming right now as I write this. I can hear the thunder getting louder and louder by the minute and many people are still without a home to escape to or they're in a home that still has a good chance of flooding. The water is so soaked that it would only take about half the rain we saw the other day to cause another flood like that one or worse. And a lot of places are still filled with water. ITS A SAD SAD WEEK. :P:lol:

ABE DOOLEY

Abe and Joe, I'm glad to hear things aren't so bad for you guys.

I called our club president's house today, and spoke to his wife- they're nice and dry (Michigan Ave) but one of our club members had his basement seriously flooded.

I hope the nasty rainstorm we had today doesn't make things worse down there. At work it rained hard enough that one of our rof drains couldn't keep up and we ended up with a big leak inside the building. It didn't rain hard for long, though- hopefully, things will be OK

Hi Brian,glad to see that your modeling buddies are okay,and thanks for the pics of the show.We were really hoping the rain would stop even if it meant no drag racing,oh well there's always next year.I hope everyone gets dried out soon.

TOO BAD FOR ME I WROTE IT ON MY CALENDER AND WITH ALL THE FLOODING GOING ON, I TOTALLY FOR GOT ALL ABOUT THE GOOD GUYS SHOW!!!!! :rolleyes::angry: I couldn't have made it anyway with being trapped and all that fun stuff.. I haven't been to a good guys show in like 12 years! I've wanted to go every year, but I always forget until the last minute and dont save enough money to have any fun. I've made it to the 4WHEEL and OFFROAD JAMBOREE every year since I was 9 though! HILLBILLY AT HEART! :D:D Kid at heart too.. I have more fun than my boys at the shows. They absolutely love going to the Jamboree and other car shows! They're gearheads just like dear ol' dad!! Me and my youngest are also BIG John Deere fans too. I've had him hooked on John Deere since BEFORE he was born. I bought so much baby John Deere stuff when she was pegnant with him. The only thing he doesn't have alot of is the BIG John Deere toys. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on something thats just gonna get rammed into other trucks! :D I'd like to buy some of the really expensive stuff for me, but I know I'D just wind up rammin into other trucks too!! :lol::huh::o

Abe- it's starting to look like you may not miss the figure painting demonstration after all. It might be postponed to the July meeting.

We've got one member who has had some flooding, one member whose father had bad flooding, and two members we haven't heard from yet. At the moment, we're looking at the possibility of making the June meeting a "bring your boots and gloves" meeting, and helping out some of our SCIMA family that have been hit.

Guest zebm1

Been thinking of how to properly resond to this thread, without starting a long-winded discussion....but I guess I'll just have to take my chances. To start with, just sos yall will know why I know a bit more than tha average guy or girl on tha street, I lack only about 6 Credit Hours for a BA-Physics Degree...tha 5 year kind.

I've been doing independent, intuitive research of the weather phenomena for about 15-20 years, because I started to notice something strange was occurring. The frequency of, intensity of and the damages caused by the weather has been on a linear climb upwards. Here's something to think about....

Category Five Hurricane:

Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Katrina, a category 5 storm over the Gulf of Mexico, was still responsible for at least 81 billion dollars of property damage when it struck the U.S. Gulf Coast as a category 3. It is by far the costliest hurricane to ever strike the United States. In addition, Hurricane Wilma of 2005 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 882 mb.

But think of this, before Hurricane Andrew, Hurricane Camile was 23 years before. since Hurricane Andrew we have had 2 more CAT 5 Hurricanes - Katrina and Wilma - in the time of 13 years. Yall do know what causes Hurricanes don't yall? It is called HEAT. So 3 CAT 5 Named Storms from 1935 to 1992, 57 years and 3 more CAT 5 Named Storms in 13 years. So is Global Warmin Real or Not, Hurricanes get their start over OPEN WATER.....not over land.

But tornados and thunderstorms are also on the increase in numbers and severity, also started by the Heating of the landmasses....something to think about yall.....hope yall's houses were built above the 100 year High-water mark, because even that may not be High enough.

Better learn how to swim well yall....lot's more water coming at us.

Well... Me and the woman were lookin at pics of the destruction on the computer the other day and we realized something..... In the last month alone we have been hit by an earthquake, 3 tornados, and a flood. Something most of us in Indiana have never experienced. Something is DEFINITLY going on beyond our current control. I never in a million years tought I would see my town or the surrounding towns flood or see an earthquake. Tornados happen alot, but I cant remember the last time we were hit by 3 within 24 hours!! Not to mention I was hit by a small tornado when I was going to Hobby Lobby last tuesday. I thought I was a gonner! It was a small scale tornado when it hit me, but it still scared the ###### out of me. You guys know how broadsided SUV's are. I thought for sure the Blazer was gonna be thrown around. When it hit the truck, it started rockin side to side on two wheels and I could feel it being picked up at the same time, I laid down across the front seats as much as a big boy like me could and I could see signs and all kinds of debris flyin around. There was a little car about 10 feet in front of me and we turned right onto Central Ave. it just disappeared! My family was at home (the trailor) when it hit me and all I could think about was getting home before the tornado could make it that way, I kept having to stop to keep out of it and I finally hit a road that was clear of it and it luckily didnt go anywhere near my lil' cardboard box of a trailor we call home. Worrying if my family was going to be okay was THE most scariest thing I have ever gone through. I was a nervous wreck the whole day. Every time I heard the wind howl I made them pack into the truck and we'd head for her mom's house. I think she was fed up with it at the end of the day.

Guest zebm1

Hey Abe, yu know what we call trailors down here in Flawduh? Tornado MAGNETS !! Guaranteed to draw in a tornado..... :)

Given my research on tha subject, I think yall better start digging deeper holes to live in. Where my Bro lives, up in tha mountains of NC, SW of Asheville, tha Building Codes REQUIRE that tha basement/1st floor walls and floor be earthquake proof....poured walls and lots of STEEL REBAR...... methinks I'm not tha only guy that is worried about tha future. :blink:

Edited by zebm1

Hey Abe, yu know what we call trailors down here in Flawduh? Tornado MAGNETS !! Guaranteed to draw in a tornado..... :D

Given my research on tha subject, I think yall better start digging deeper holes to live in. Where my Bro lives, up in tha mountains of NC, SW of Asheville, tha Building Codes REQUIRE that tha basement/1st floor walls and floor be earthquake proof....poured walls and lots of STEEL REBAR...... methinks I'm not tha only guy that is worried about tha future. :D

WELL..... If your a man of god like myself.... You have nothing to be afraid of.

The only reason we bought the trailor was to pay it off in 5 years and sell it and use that for a down payment on a house out in the woods. I HATE THE CITY!!!!!! We have a lil' county by the name of BROWN and it is THE MOST beautiful county in Indiana. I have lived there 3 times. I moved there when I turned 17 and lived in a lil' house with 3 acres and a BIG mudhole out back some people would call a pond (dont worry, there were no fish in it). Lived there for a bout a year. It was like HOG HEAVEN there. Then I moved down the street to another lil' house on 4 acres with a very nice fishing pond that we kept the trucks out of. Lived there for a year and moved back to town for about 2 years and got "COUNTRY FEVER" again and moved out there on 49 and a half acres with a small swimming pond a 2 acre lake that had the best fishing I have ever seen in my life. Had a few mudholes there too. The guy I was renting from was destroying the land and me and him got into it a few times over it and I finally had enough and told the people in charge about him running raw sewage into the streams. He lost the property and now someones cleaning up his mess and putting lil' cabins on it for campers. I really miss the fishing though. So now I've only got 2 years left in this lil' cardboard box and I'll finally have my own house and a lake back in THE MOST beautiful county in Indiana.

Have you ever been there Brian?? Some people know it by Nashville or Gnaw Bone. Its got a lot of flea markets.

Guest zebm1

No, that was China, also on The Ring of Fire. Looks like it's working itself around clockwise.....heading towards the Cascades, which is long overdue for another BIG one....... caused tha last Major Tsunami that hit Japan way back, several hundred years ago......

Edited by zebm1

Greene County would have to be my pick for best place in Indiana. But Owen and Brown are both beautiful, too.

I spent today in Columbus helping a fellow club member who got flooded. He has a split level, and only his basement got it, but it was terrible. His whole neighborhood loked awful.

You can look at a million pictures of flood damage, but until you're out in it, you'll never really see it.

Southern Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin- you're all in my prayers.

Abe, Sorry, but Owen county is much prettier than Brown county. :lol: My famly is from Brown county there are way too many tourists there for me.

Never been to Owen county. I never seen too many tourists at my house in Brown county! :lol: There are quite a few tourists in Nashville, but you only see them if you go to Nashville. There is alot of very interestin lil' shops in town, but I LOVE THEM FLEA MARKETS!!! B)B) Whereabouts is Owen county?? I think I've heard of it now that I think about it, just cant remember where..

Greene County would have to be my pick for best place in Indiana. But Owen and Brown are both beautiful, too.

I spent today in Columbus helping a fellow club member who got flooded. He has a split level, and only his basement got it, but it was terrible. His whole neighborhood loked awful.

You can look at a million pictures of flood damage, but until you're out in it, you'll never really see it.

Southern Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin- you're all in my prayers.

Never been to Greene county either, I think.... I love Brown county in the fall especially when all the leaves are changing to bright yellows and oranges!

What part of Columbus were you in?? There are some areas that are absolutely heartbreaking!! I've been all over columbus and helped alot of my friends and I think the worst was on Mapleton and Pleasant Grove. EVERYONES homes were completely under the water! I went to my Mom's before going to Kentucky yesterday and the people that live on thoses streets STILL have no where to go. The Red Cross has a shelter over there somewhere. Alot of those people were poorer and you just know they didnt have FLOOD insurance! I mean, who ever thought our lil' town was EVER gonna flood??!! I still cant believe I had NO CLUE what was going on until my woman came home from work and asked me if I had been watching the news!!

I sincerely hope everyone gets through OK. I myself went through the spring of 1997 flood here in North Dakota. My folks and I were fortunate enough to not lose everything like some. Only our basement (where I did my model building and lived in high school) got filled with water.