Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup question

I have a AMT 1950 chev pickup.I built this when these were first released..I think back in the mid 90's.

here is the question?...my model I remember building stock build.it has a spare tire mount on it.did these early releases have a spare tire mount in the kit..I don't remember. 

I want to build another and need a few..any help I'd greatly appreciate it..thank you..Chris 

Someone needs to cast the box fender with the cut out to mount the spare up on yje side of the box.. Someone did do the 55-66 Chev truck fenders wit the cut put but I can not remember who it was. I always liked the spare mounted on the front side of the box. This feature does not seem to be very common but it really gives the truck that '50's look.. The spare could be mounted on either side but drivers side looks to be by fat the most common. There are a couple of photos to show the mounting brackets and the box fender cut out.

1953%20CHEVY%203100%20PICKUP%20PROTO%202.jpg

1953-chevy-truck-011311.jpg

a1-2.jpg

a5.jpg

Edited by impcon

I have this kit (AMT '50 Chevy Pickup) and I just checked and looked---------it does not include the spare tire, or even the carrier. This is the 1994 release (green truck) of the kit.

I double checked mine, and you are correct. Seems I stand corrected. Could have sworn it had them, though. 

I double checked mine, and you are correct. Seems I stand corrected. Could have sworn it had them, though. 

That's one of those things that if I ever get to building mine, that's a MUST have! I couldn't imagine buying a 1:1 without a spare! :D

I never paid any attention to that detail until this thread came up........now it'll be on my mind every time I see it!