Model Cars Magazine Forum

Purple Power vs. Super Clean

I've finally had the opportunity to do an assessment of the performance of these two products for paint stripping.

Not because I wanted to, but out of necessity.

My local auto parts store does not carry Super Clean, but did have Purple Power so I picked up a gallon to try out on my next project, a Johan 1962 Plymouth Fury convertible.

I have to say that I was quite disappointed.

The Plymouth was painted many years ago with basically one coat of enamel paint with no primer, but after soaking for 24 hours, while it was mostly clean, it was no where near as spotless as my experience has been with Super Clean.

Other similar paint jobs that I have stripped with Super Clean in the past, and there have been many, were generally spotless in as little as a couple of hours.

So, I will be expanding my search into the Fargo Moorhead area for some Super Clean.

I thought that some of you might find this information useful.

Steve

DSCN6114DSCN6115

Super Clean( the purple bottle) is what used be Castrol Super Clean, the only difference is dropping Castrol from the name, the Purple Power is a knock off of Super Clean, that is why its cheaper.    Both work great, but Super Clean works even better and faster, and will strip some paints that Purple Power has a hard time stripping and or removing chrome.

Here is a head to head to video showing the difference between the two, proof is in the bucket.

I have never used purple power or super clean, but have you tried simple green or easy off? Works pretty good for me. That video however does show the proof.

I have not used Simple Green, but I used Easy Off for many years.

It worked well in most cases, but I gave it up because of the noxious fumes & it's much messier to use than Super Clean.

Also, Super Clean is much more economical to use than Easy Off because you can use it over & over.

Steve