Model Cars Magazine Forum

--Crosstown 1972 Swinger 340--

How many of those among this forum have seen --let alone heard of --the 1971 and 1972 Dart 'Swinger Special' 340 models ?

There were special order 340-powered , base model Dart Swinger hardtops , sold at two Western Canada dealerships : Crosstown and Crest View, located in Edmonton, Alberta and Regina Saskatchewan. http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2015/02/ghost-cars-1971-72-dodge-dart-swinger.html

A friend of mine is currently restoring a gorgeous GB5 1972 model ( another 1972 model has been restored ; an FY1 model ) --- here's a photo of it and its present state-of-restoration .

Crosstown_1972_340_Swinger.thumb.jpg.3aa

Note it barren appointments : colour-keyed rubber floormat ; no radio (note blockoff plate)  ; base steering wheel ; and , not seen here ; no rear arm rests . Also , no power steering , and no power brakes ( 4 wheel drums ) . The black "Bumblebee" Stripe is a dealer-added embellishment .

Few were built , and few remain . 

That is Cool ! Johnnson Motors in Vancouver B.C. ordered 12 Black 1970 Dusters with Gold stripes on the tail light panel and they came with 440 's three were 4-speeds all the others were Autos . I only wish I had a photo of this ?

Edited by Mr mopar

Agreed....this is way cool.  Ahh Mother Mopar....always full of surprises back then!   TIM 

The idea that any of those special order Darts are still alive is nothing short of amazing ! The harsh Canadian winters plus the nature of those vehicles = high mortality rate .

That is Cool ! Johnnson Motors in Vancouver B.C. ordered 12 Black 1970 Dusters with Gold stripes on the tail light panel and they came with 440 's three were 4-speeds all the others were Autos . I only wish I had a photo of this ?

I didn't know any Dusters were available with the 440. Was this some sort of special deal?

they were special ordred by Johnnson motors , the story is Johnnson had an in with someone at Chrysler of Canada back in the day.

I know they say "Never Say Never" when it came to ordering stuff from Mother Mopar back then but I'm still a little skeptical of a factory big block Duster. Especially given the fact the big block Cuda & Darts were sent out for their conversions. Of course the Dusters could have been back doored thru the same program.

Remember, these cars were sold in Canada, and not the U.S. in the early '70's. The Dusters sound like a Mopar version of a C.O.P.O., and the Darts could have been a low production model, available only in Canada. Both models were doable on the assembly line, and back in the day, if you had the connections, it could happen.

Remember, these cars were sold in Canada, and not the U.S. in the early '70's. The Dusters sound like a Mopar version of a C.O.P.O., and the Darts could have been a low production model, available only in Canada. Both models were doable on the assembly line, and back in the day, if you had the connections, it could happen.

Indeed , the Chrysler programme functioned like G.M.'s C.O.P.O. , albeit to a lesser degree . Most of the special order Dodge and Plymouth cars were either Taxis (especially the 'New York Taxi' [ "N" as the second character of the V.I.N. , versus the typical "T" ] ) . NYC had a footwell-to-ceiling requirement ; Chrysler obliged by adding deeper floorboards for the rear passengers , whose modifications were performed at the Amblewagon facility .

Further ; Police cars were also special orders ; mostly , they were built in batches . The CHP units in particular were unique ; special order cam specs , white rimmed steering wheels , etc. , etc .

The 1971-1972 Canadian-only Dart Swinger Special 340s were built in Canada ( Windsor , Ontario Plant ; across the lake from Detroit ) , for those two dealerships . 

Most manufactures would build special order "fleet" cars . with the provisio that there be a minimum order ( e.g. , 50 COPO ZL-1 Camaros , 50 "LL23H_R" Darts , etc. , etc. )

In all of my 47 years , I have never heard of any big block A-bodies being built after the 1969 model year . Gary Dyer at Mr Norms was the first to convert a Dart to big block . He did that in late 1966 ; installed a 383 / 727 / 3.55 rear from a '66 Coronet . This car also had underchassis headers , which were highly unusual at that time . While one could order a 383 in a Barracuda for 1967 from the start of the model year , the 383 wasn't available from the factory until Spring 1967 . 

No Dusters ... but I'm open to seeing evidence or proof of those being built ...