Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just got to the point of applying the decal to the upright face. There is no white layer printed underneath. I remember the 1st Mobius Hornet sheet had this issue and it renders them pretty useless over any color but white. I've sent an email to Round 2, maybe they will correct it. Seems easy enough. 

The rest of the kit is good. The sculpting of the monster is well done, The pinball machine is a tad wonky but, it follows the kit theme, I guess. The playing surface is, disappointingly, represented entirely by a decal albeit a nice one, except for the lack of a white underlayer. I've decided to have a go at scratching flippers and such from styrene, bumpers from pellet gun pellets and chrome wire for the rails. I have BBs that are just slightly oversized but I might use them as pinballs anyway. There isn't any "glass" provided either.

I never paid much attention to Monster Kits when I was a kid. I've built Leaky Louey and Stroker McGurk's surfboard recently. I just wanted this one for the 1/8 scale pinball machine. I'll post pics eventually. 

Please post yours here.

I've never outsourced part of  a project before, but my son started painting figures a little while ago and has already surpassed my skills in this area. I'd like to have some of his work, (and since he used to ask me to paint his figures) so I mailed the monster to him.

This is the pinball machine. One of the proposed pellet bumpers is sitting up on the edge. I'll need to paint the sides of the upper structure white before the side decals go on. The decal issue introduced itself as I pulled the thing from the paper. I grabbed a piece of white sign vinyl and fit it into place while the decal was still on the wet paper then reapplied.

DSCF4098.JPG

Edited by samdiego

I got mine from Tower Hobbies. Just got an email from Douglas Ridge @ Round 2 about the decal issue. I love it when you contact a company with a problem and they respond like you're probably trying to scam them. Like I could be mistaken about the missing white layer

Edited by samdiego

Not good about the decal issue. So if I understand it as you're saying the decals didn't have a white layer? Hope mine comes in correct. I want to get cracking on it right away. I have Game Colors just waiting to make that Punk look rad. I'm going to Alclad the pinball machine legs and add a lot of details. We'll see about the decals.

Yup, I've emailed Round 2. They are looking into it. The game surface and back weren't an issue for me to do in white, but I wasn't planning on doing the table exterior in white. They even suggest painting it black, but the decals won't show on a black background. That's what led to the conclusion that this was an error on the decal printer's part

I've got the playing surface almost 3D enough. I've added flippers, bumpers and rails trying to keep with in the decal design. I'll foil the top trim after the clear styrene glass goes on. My BBs are to large, I'm looking around for something smaller.

DSCF4104.JPG

Edited by samdiego
more info

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably make an acetate glass for it since it's a focal point of any pinball machine.

Thanks for the thumbs up. I didn't mean to hijack this thread but it's as good a place for such a weird contraption as any.

Looking forward to progress on yours Sam.