Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last and final pictures of the MACK DM600 Mixer

6-15-08

First of all..Happy Father’s day to everyone..who is a DAD!!

Second…I can pretty much call this done. I just need to finish adding the US DOT# and a small flag to each of the doors…Mudflap decals, radio/CB antenna…And YES…it is going to get “grime/dirt†afterall. Some please be gentle on me…I am looking for suggestions at this point….

Honestly…I was talking to Sourkraut at the Macungie, PA (Mack) meet yesterday,,,very nice individual…this build has NOT been fun..since the day I started. The REX mixer was severely warped from the factory..and the (2) DM600 (ModelKing) re-pops weren’t that great…I found most of the parts either factory or modified need a lot of help..add some paint…and WOOOO..look out..nothing wanted to fit anymore…I think the “molds†have seen better days…NOT complaining…yes I am…I would rate the kit a 5.

8 months on the build table…(2) DM600 kits, (1) IH Paystar Mixer kit, Rubber hood latches and tires from Jamie (Mo-Luminum)..engine and bullet lights from the Cruiserliner kit, along with the rear and lift axle rims…front rims from Freightliner cabover, made of resin (casted), battery box from the Pete 378, rubber flaps from Sourkraut, Decals are from ME, R-model updated dash (custom) Hose and nozzle from Dave (AITM) Genuine Mack paint (Red/White/Black)..Hydraulic tank (Autocar Dump) A ton of scratch-built items, and heavily modified items. Just to name a few.

Now for some much needed R&R.

Again, any suggestions of some additional weathering products/techniques would be greatly appreciated. Happy building….Sorry to ramble on.

Kurt McLucas

DSCN5515a.jpg

DSCN5519a.jpg

DSCN5521a.jpg

DSCN5524a.jpg

DSCN5525a.jpg

DSCN5526a.jpg

DSCN5528.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Kurt I think it looks awesome the way it is, so if you do go down the dirty grimy road with it make sure you send NESL photos of that Im sure they will be jealous of the only truck with their name on it to ever be that clean. I think it would look great either weathered or clean like it is, very impressive as usual

Update...

And for some others..pictures now posted of the hood opened, featuring the 300 Maxidyne engine...I didn't have these at the last posting(s)..

And for the weathering..keeping it to the cab only for now. It's like having a clean truck entering the loading area (quarry)..For the shoots..I used the Tamiya weatherine master (silver)..paint being rubbed away...And lots off Alclad paint used...

Thank you to all for the great comments...Would have been nice for that new look..apparently that wasn't in the cards. The customer likes it..that is all that matters..I guess..Thanks, Guys...

Kurt McLucas

DSCN5530a.jpg

DSCN5539A.jpg

DSCN5543A.jpg

DSCN5540A.jpg

DSCN5542A.jpg

DSCN5545A.jpg

Guy's...

Thank you for all the great comments and ideas...Yeh..this build shaved a few years off of my lifespan allright...

The mixer does have some "weathering" done..grease on the chain, oil stains..etc..but keeping it to a minimum..on the cab and tires..a mention was made " mud and crud can accumulate" ..that is all I want at the moment..

The rest of the Microscale decals came yesterday..finishing up the DOT #'s..adding a flag here and there..and I'll post one last shot of the completely finished truck this weekend..

Thanks......Kurt Mclucas

6-20-08

We'll guys this is it...Completely finished..and even tried some outdoor pictures. Thank you to everyone for the great feedback and comments..Happy Summer and Modeling to all...See you in November for the next build...

Kurt McLucas

DSC00219a.jpg

DSC00227a.jpg

DSC00222a.jpg

DSC00230a.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

• 1 month later...

Kurt,

This is an exceptional build. Great attention to detail and the finish is superb! You need to build a diarama for photographing your trucks outside. They really are quite outstanding!

I will as usual be watching out for your next Marathon build. Good Luck.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

phenominal looking build, where did you ge tthe rear tires, and any blueprints or instructions for the third axle? Im working on a AMt DM800 mixer, we had a mack with dm cab that was a used block truck, but the triaxle was taken off it

it aso has a 20-25 speed tranni, its a friggen monster to drive similar to an MB Cabover mack, if you miss a shift, you pretty much have to stop to go back up through the gears agaiin

phenominal though