Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 CHEVY EL CAMINO 1:25 KIT REVIEW

hpiguy

Re-release of the AMT '59 El Camino kit, this time with the original box art, poster, decal inside. 
8, yeah, EIGHT pad printed tires in the box (whitewall and polyglas), both 348 and supercharged V8 as well and a nice sheet of waterslides for stock, work truck and custom. Steelies, hub caps and centerline style wheels included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc3gdnd4iFs 

As you know, I like every model review you do Chris. Scares me sometimes to hear comments. I have almost the exact same ways of thinking of things, on the subject models that you do. I don't know if that is good or bad?

Maybe we're just the same level of crazy?  LOL  Thanks as always Scott. :)

Thanks!  I really liked the retro "long-box" reissue of this kit, back in the 1990s (shown below).  IIRC, the original was first issued in that box around 1966.  I'll probably pass on this one, just because I have several already - one in the long box and others in the circa-1989 box, with the pink El Camino on top.  I recently found one of those at a flea market, shrink-wrapped for $7. It's one of my favorite kits, and makes a great vintage service vehicle for a gas station.

elca2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chris!!!! I have been familiar with the AMT '59 El Camino since my next door neighbor built one of the kits back when it first came out. It was packed with detail, and some interesting customizing bits that have not been returned to the kit, like the original Radir Mag Wheels and the Recording Console fir the bed, even though the controls are still on the Chrome tree. Several years ago, I purchased an original kit box from the '60's, and lo and behold, it had the custom parts in it. I matched them up to one of the later kits, and it proudly sits on my shelf. I may buy one of these for a planned '60 I want to do, utilizing the Revell hardtop kit, and a Model Car Garage Photoetch set. I like white styrene over the blue or gray styrene used before. Back in '60, Chevrolet whipped up a few El Caminos trimmed out like an Impala, and that is what I want to do.

Thanks!  I really liked the retro "long-box" reissue of this kit, back in the 1990s (shown below).  IIRC, the original was first issued in that box around 1966.  I'll probably pass on this one, just because I have several already - one in the long box and others in the circa-1989 box, with the pink El Camino on top.  I recently found one of those at a flea market, shrink-wrapped for $7. It's one of my favorite kits, and makes a great vintage service vehicle for a gas station.

elca2.jpg

Actually, AMT first issued this kit in the late summer of 1964, using their then-standard 3in1 Customizing box--which was way too tightly packed for this model--many of the kits came into stores with the roof squashed!   I built one up way back about 1994, to showcase my then-new Chevy 235cid Blue Flame 6 AAM resin kit , and it went together perfectly.  I then used the entire windshield area on a Monogram '59 Impala convertible body, along with a widened JoHan '59 Cadillac "Sixty Special" 4dr door sedan tor the roof, to do a resin-master for the '59 Biscayne 2dr sedan.  In doing this one, I had a concern about the height of the windshield--slapped my measuring stick on my real '59 Biscayne 4dr--AMT got the roof height correct.

Art