Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford Show 'n Go Pickup

Bernard Kron

I started this project a few weeks ago to keep me distracted while I struggled with the paint on my ’32 3-window project. Working on this has kept me from fooling with the ’32 as I repaint it.

The idea is to build a customized shop truck. Influences include the Alexander Bros. ’32 Pickup, “The Grasshopper†and John Robinson’s “Johnny Rotten†’37 Ford Pickup.

So far I’ve chopped the top 2 ½ scale inches, shaved the front cross member and de-arched the front spring to bring the nose down, built a small rolled pan on the rear, and filled in the spare tire well on the right-side front fender. I think I need to bring the nose down slightly more and the front wheels slightly forward so I’m considering repositioning the front spring behind the front axle instead of on top it.

Wheels will be modern, most likely the mags and tires that come with the Revellogram Good Guys ’40 Ford Coupe, tires will be blackwall, the motor will be the kit motor detailed, and paint will probably be a dark two-tone metallic, with the darker color for the fenders. I’m not sure about the interior yet, but most likely it will be tuck and rolled with the stock dash.

Thanx for lookin’.

B.

th_DSCF0425-web.jpg th_DSCF0426-web.jpg th_DSCF0428-web.jpg

th_Chop-web.jpg th_DSCF0431-web.jpg th_Fender-web.jpg

(Click on picture for larger image)

Edited by gbk1

:lol: ######, Great minds think alike! I dun did the SAME thing to my 34 P/U! 3in. chop, filled in the wheel well location, an it's still in prime!######, I gotta get this postin stuff down better! :lol:

Won't believe it until I see pictures of it George.

Guest Gramps-xrds
just wanting to see some of your builds,

Good luck Clay, I been waitin to see some of them for months. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure he has any :P:P:P

Guest Gramps-xrds
:P STICKS AN STONES....Just keepin the anticipation level up there! :unsure:

Ya George, but you gotta think a bit, Kenny's close enough to make those sticks & stones hurt :lol::lol::P:P

Thanx everyone.

:) ######, Great minds think alike! I dun did the SAME thing to my 34 P/U! 3in. chop, filled in the wheel well location, an it's still in prime!######, I gotta get this postin stuff down better! :lol:

Like everyone else ;) , I'd love to see your build. I just hope all the body work that the wheel well fill required doesn't show up when I lay down metallic paint! It looks invisible under the primer right now but experience has taught me to take nothing for granted!

B.

Well...you might let the base color "dry" awhile before you shoot the clear on it, just to make sure. I've found that if something does appear in the base coat that a good color sanding and a reapplication of the base color will often make it disappear for good.

Good luck!!

Well...you might let the base color "dry" awhile before you shoot the clear on it, just to make sure. I've found that if something does appear in the base coat that a good color sanding and a reapplication of the base color will often make it disappear for good.

Good luck!!

Makes sense to me. Thanx. I'll definitely take the precaution. "Disappear for good" would be good! :)

Guest Gramps-xrds
Makes sense to me. Thanx. I'll definitely take the precaution. "Disappear for good" would be good! :)

I've actually used lacquer as a sealer just for that purpose. A couple coats and a good sanding and you're ready for the base coat and clear. :lol:;)

I've actually used lacquer as a sealer just for that purpose. A couple coats and a good sanding and you're ready for the base coat and clear. :rolleyes::lol:

Thanx Gramps. Both Raul's suggestion and your expansion on it make the basic principal "clear". Good to know how to take the necessary precautions for a succesful result!

Thanks again,

B.

Have you decided on a paint type and color yet?

I've often used the Testors lacquer paint as a base coat just to see how the finished model will look in a particular color and to highlight and fix any minor imperfections in the surface...kind of like an expensive coat of nicely colored primer...(with the Testors lacquer now going for $5.50 per can...)

I’ve finalized the stance and choice of wheels and tires. I relocated the front spring behind the front axle which lowered the front end another couple of scale inches and moved the front wheels slightly forward. The truck now has a more dramatic rake as a result of this plus the Big ‘n’ Littles from the Revellogram Good Guys ’40 Ford Coupe which I chose.

th_DSCF0453-web.jpg th_DSCF0455-web.jpg th_DSCF0458-web.jpg th_DSCF0442-web.jpg

(Click on picture for larger image)

Have you decided on a paint type and color yet?

I’m still not certain about the color scheme other than it's going to be a metallic two tone with the main body in the lighter of two shades of the same color and the fenders in the darker shade. I’m leaning towards shades of green since I haven’t done a green car and metallic greens are pretty traditional show car colors.

B.