Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wen Mac 1967 Mustang Promo Conversion

cpspoogie

Test fit of the body to the chassis and the clearance is great.  I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t be jacked up enough or the traction bars wouldn’t be visible.  I didn’t measure anything, just eyeballed it so I was happy to see it will work out without adjustment.  Primer will cure for a few days then I’ll paint the body. 

E631A6A4-7E9F-4CD0-B6A9-BFDDB02A16F0.jpeg

5CD71C57-42B8-42D8-88FC-5B3B391555F5.jpeg

Very nice!  Did you keep yours motorIzed?

Yes, i keep the metal chassis. Fortunately, I found the basis '66 model on Ebay equiped with the chassis and wheels of a '67 GT ... a chance for me to have the styled steel wheels like my real car.

I have to do all the interior on mine but i sincerely don't know how I'll do the luxury interior (emberglo/parchement) like mine ... on the '66 Wen Mac model, they have done a standard interior ...

The '66 luxury interior is different as the '67 luxury interior, so I can't use the interior of a '67 model ...

I have to see if i can use seats of a 1/12 Revell kit ... but I'm not sure on this 1/11 model ...

I like to folow your post because, it gives me some ideas ... I have 6 other Wen Mac models ... :P

Yes, i keep the metal chassis. Fortunately, I found the basis '66 model on Ebay equiped with the chassis and wheels of a '67 GT ... a chance for me to have the styled steel wheels like my real car.

I have to do all the interior on mine but i sincerely don't know how I'll do the luxury interior (emberglo/parchement) like mine ... on the '66 Wen Mac model, they have done a standard interior ...

The '66 luxury interior is different as the '67 luxury interior, so I can't use the interior of a '67 model ...

I have to see if i can use seats of a 1/12 Revell kit ... but I'm not sure on this 1/11 model ...

I like to folow your post because, it gives me some ideas ... I have 6 other Wen Mac models ... :P

Very nice.  Since these are really considered toys and not models, Wen MAC just cheaped out on the interior detail.  That leaves lots of fun for us scratch builders to create interior details. Scratch building is limited to the imagination, my friend. If there’s anything I can do or suggest as you do your interior, let me know.  I have a few tips up my sleeve!  Chris

Test fit of the chassis and body went very well.  Not bad for eyeballing and no measurements.  The main thing is I wanted the traction bars, gas tank, differential and shocks to be visible since it’s jacked up.  Anybody have any suggestions where to find 1/12 scale Good Year tire decals?

FA6A261C-A27F-40B5-B790-0781EA5BC66C.jpeg

681FAC44-ED8F-4133-B07C-D962E255B768.jpeg

I will have to watch this,I have one I got when they were new and it needs restored and need to find some parts. I am going to see if I can find a working motor since mine has disappeared.

You can find the motor, air box, gear shift, exhausts, hodd and side scoops, decals and steering wheel for the Wen Mac Mustang '66 and '67 by this seller on Ebay ... https://www.ebay.fr/itm/WEN-MAC-1966-TOY-MUSTANG-BLACK-ENGINE-AIR-CLEANER-also-for-AMF-and-TESTORS/372136212216?hash=item56a50bf6f8:g:u7UAAOSwEOpaCxVo

If the pieces are not on Ebay, just ask to the seller, he has a website ...

Edited by 1500gp

I will have to watch this,I have one I got when they were new and it needs restored and need to find some parts. I am going to see if I can find a working motor since mine has disappeared.

I have a chassis and working restored battery box and electric motor I would get rid of.  Just private message me.  

Chris, Your work on the Mustang is really very interesting, and thanks for your comments on my Morris Minor Traveller build. Just been looking at your red interior for the Mustang, and I have just completed my crimson red leather interior for my Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud build in 1:24 scale. For this I have used real crimson red leather by cutting out individual pieces of leather, and carefully glueing them into place. Some photos here of the leather interior for your attention. The scale of 1:12 and 1:11 is a nice scale to be working in I thinks, although I do like 1:24 also.

David

101_0384.JPG

101_0389.JPG

101_0395.JPG

101_0396.JPG

Chris, Your work on the Mustang is really very interesting, and thanks for your comments on my Morris Minor Traveller build. Just been looking at your red interior for the Mustang, and I have just completed my crimson red leather interior for my Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud build in 1:24 scale. For this I have used real crimson red leather by cutting out individual pieces of leather, and carefully glueing them into place. Some photos here of the leather interior for your attention. The scale of 1:12 and 1:11 is a nice scale to be working in I thinks, although I do like 1:24 also.

David

101_0384.JPG

101_0389.JPG

101_0395.JPG

101_0396.JPG

David, that looks really nice. Very tedious work!

Great wheels/tires. They look about perfect! Where did you get them? 

These are off one of those Muscle Machines 1/18 scale diecast cars with the exaggerated blown hemis hanging out of the hood.  I had one and got looking at the wheels and though they say they’re 1/18, they work well on this. 

The Mustang is looking really good Chris and the wheels do look right too. I have a Hubley promo from 1959 of the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud, and although this could be converted along similar lines to your Mustang build, I shall keep the Hubley in original blue plastic or resin. The car is 8 1/2" long in 1:24 scale and I also have the Franklin Mint diecast version of the 1955 car.

David Watson

The Mustang is looking really good Chris and the wheels do look right too. I have a Hubley promo from 1959 of the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud, and although this could be converted along similar lines to your Mustang build, I shall keep the Hubley in original blue plastic or resin. The car is 8 1/2" long in 1:24 scale and I also have the Franklin Mint diecast version of the 1955 car.

David Watson

Thise are incredible cars and your work is great!  Bravo!  

Beautiful work, Chris.

I sended a Mail to you this morning ... :)

Did you made the chrome on bumpers with Alclad ?

On witch model of 1/18 Muscle Machine do you found this wheels ?

Fred

Fred, I used a chrome paint from a spray can from the hobby store.  You have to put a coat of gloss black down first, then a very light coat of the “chrome”, because if you go too heavy it covers the black and just looks silver.  Really good stuff once you get the technique down.  As far as the wheels, I’m not sure which particular Muscle Machines car they came from because I bought them off Ebay.  I think they’re all the same, though.