Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Difference between Tamiya Ferrari Kits

JeroenM3

So ive been looking at getting some more Tamiya kits, and im a big time Ferrari fan, with 1 of my all time favorites being the F50!

However ive noticed that there are 2 different kits in circulation for the F50 by tamiya:

The 24296

24296_a__59811.1491194902.jpg?c=2

and the 24160

104844-10911-pristine.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these 2 is? i tried googling it but got no answer on this sadly. Is it just a matter of reboxing? or is there a quality/detail difference? or even a parts count difference?

Same goes for the different versions of the Enzo models:

s-l1600.jpg

and this one:

813v8%2BNkFWL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by JeroenM3

Those are both known as "Renewal Packaging". They're just freshened up box art to match the rest of the "black box" Ferrari kits that have the parts layout on the bottom, content wise they are the same. I'd go for the newer boxes just for stuff like fresher decals and whatnot.

ahh ok thats what i thought, just wanted to be sure.

Someone is offering an F50 kit for a reasonably cheap price on our local ebay, but its the older box so decals will be old then i guess...

ahh ok thats what i thought, just wanted to be sure.

Someone is offering an F50 kit for a reasonably cheap price on our local ebay, but its the older box so decals will be old then i guess...

The old box kit is from 1995, the renewal box was done in 2007 - and is still an active kit in the Tamiya catalog.  Nothing wrong with the original kit, that's the one I have - for the same cheaper reason - but the few decals in there are 22 years old.  Not that replacements and P/E doesn't exist to replace them.

Tamiya has been updating the art work on the boxes and in some cases there are some small differences.  Tamiya has been using Cartograph for their decals lately and so the newer kit will probably have a better quality decal.  Also in some cases they have made additions to the box, such as metal transfers or a small photoetched fret.  Most often if there is a change, they will highlight it on the box, such as the photo etched on the later Enzo box or a transparent under tray and carbon fiber decal on the first example, that didn't appear in the original issue. You may also find the Enzo molded in a different color plastic.  They did a "Gallo Modena" yellow version.  Same kit, different color plastic.  By the way, the last I heard from Tamiya, the Enzo is the best selling kit they ever produced!