Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stirring up paint

There is a post, I believe on this forum, about converting a jigsaw into a paint shaker.  It uses a cheap clamp from Harbor Freight and works quite well.  Here is a picture of mine.  The jigsaw cost $10 at a pawn shop and the clamp was around $2 at Harbor Freight.  When I get the paint bottle clamped in place I will usually run some masking tape around the bottle and the clamp just as insurance.

Paint Shaker 002.JPG

There is a post, I believe on this forum, about converting a jigsaw into a paint shaker.  It uses a cheap clamp from Harbor Freight and works quite well.  Here is a picture of mine.  The jigsaw cost $10 at a pawn shop and the clamp was around $2 at Harbor Freight.  When I get the paint bottle clamped in place I will usually run some masking tape around the bottle and the clamp just as insurance.

Paint Shaker 002.JPG

When running the jigsaw I also hold the bottle inside an empty coffee can I have in my model room.  You can never be too careful when shaking paint.

Try using a simple wooden tooth pick to get the sediment stirred up. Then you can start shaking the bottle by what ever means you choose. I have a Hobby Paint Shaker that I have had for a long time. I got it from Micro Mart and just use a rubber band to hold the bottle on its side. This works very quickly and minimal mess.  

maxresdefault.jpg

This is what i use and it's awesome

Agree! This is perfect! Can reach the corners of those square testor bottles with it too. Just remember to stop spinning before removing it from the bottle!

Edited by JohnU
Spelling

The Badger mixer is perfect for the job. I think it was designed not to splash paint. I can plunge right in the jar spinning and remove it still spinning without a splash. They can be had at AC Moore for about 7$ with coupon.

Edited by 935k3

I use a little different method.  The reason a rattle can rattles is because is has a couple of small glass marbles in it.  When the rattle can is empty, I cut it open and keep the marbles.  Then after I have opened the paint, I throw one or two in.  They make great paint agitators in all kinds of bottles. 

I use a little different method.  The reason a rattle can rattles is because is has a couple of small glass marbles in it.  When the rattle can is empty, I cut it open and keep the marbles.  Then after I have opened the paint, I throw one or two in.  They make great paint agitators in all kinds of bottles. 

I use .177 caliber air-rifle BBs, available at Walmart. In small bottles of paint, they work better than the glass marbles and taking the BB or two out of the container is easier than opening up a (hopefully) depleted rattle can.

Opening the can, however, is still better and safer than another approach I've seen mentioned on the forum: opening live shotgun shells and using the shot from them.

Edited by BigTallDad