Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door Sedan 426 HEMI original

Reuhkapelti

This one of a kind 1:1 vehicle is located in Finland, as in 1967 a local car dealer ordered himself a 4 door sedan  Belvedere, equipped with the mighty 426 HEMI engine. Four doors, bench seats, light blue paint... a total sleeper. 

I'm building this model by using the body of a Revell Sox & Martin Plymouth. I have now rebuilt the whole roof and made new doors for the the rear seat passengers. The new roof sits about 1,5 mm higher than the original. Also the windshield - and the rear window frames stand more upwords.

IMG_20171202_173708.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

Thanks! This 1:1 car is really factory made once. And the car still exists. 

I took the cockpit from a parted out '64 GTO Pontiac, because it has a simplier back seat than the GTX. I cut the 2door-back-seat arm rests off, glued some filling on it. Also I have to take the floor off and use the GTX floor instead.

The roof got an extra sheat of Evergreen on top. I needed to get the little notch above the rear window. The windows got the rest of the frames, including the triangle shaped ones.

I found smaller tires too. I think the original 1:1 tire size was 14"-15"anyone know?

IMG_20171205_171854.jpg

IMG_20171205_195241.jpg

IMG_20171205_184750.jpg

For those who don't know the 1:1 car, Berner Oy, a Finnish company that was importing new Plymouths to Finland was also racing in Rally with Plymouth Valiants and Barracudas. They had been racing even in Monte Carlo with those cars, so the Plymouth factory wanted to give a prize to the owner of this company by offering a possibility to order himself whatever Plymouth model he wanted. As the owner wanted to fit his family inside his new car easily, he ordered a 4D Sedan Belvedere, but he wanted it with the most powerful engine option which was of course the 426 Hemi.

So yes, the factory built one Hemi powered 4D Sedan Belvedere in '67 and that car has spent its entire life here in Finland. Nowadays after a few different owners it's not in perfect condition anymore, so the current owner is restoring it back to its' former glory...

1-IMG_20130903_0038.jpg?img=medium

...And as I already said on the Finnish forum, it's interesting to see how this turns out. It's about time to have someone build this exact car in 1/25 scale.

Thanks D-T71 and W409. There was some things I didnt know about the history of The Car and her original owner. 

I couldn't find a decent bench seat so I scratch built one using Evergreen sheats. After painting it will look good enough. The body of the car is close to get the first primer sprayed on. 

W409, do you have trouble too with FCMA forum or is it just me? It claims about some internal server error?

IMG_20171210_120201.jpg

IMG_20171210_122835.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

Thanks everybody! Those red and blue wall tires look very cool. I'm gonna build this model as it was nearly new in Finland, and at that time it had some narrow white wall tires. 

Now the body got some paint. It needs another spraying still and some clear lacque too. 

The HEMI engine is still in the box. Anyone know, what was the colour of the engine block in 1967? Orange?

IMG_20171210_210742.jpg

22 hours ago, Reuhkapelti said:

W409, do you have trouble too with FCMA forum or is it just me? It claims about some internal server error?

Yep, I was struggling with the same issue for a few days, but yesterday I figured it out... The new adress is forum.FCMA.fi.B)

Great job on the front seat and paint!

Thanks gtx6970! W-409, in the imagination world we should race, you in that Malibu and me in my Belvedere. I might have more power, but no grip with those razor blade tires :lol:. And not to mention your experience on the track...

The HEMI engine got some paint, hopefully close enough to the right colour. No chrome here, so I stripped all the chrome off of the valve covers and painted them matt black. I have no photos from the original engine of the 1:1 car I'm modelling here, so it's gonna be a wild guess, what colour theme there was on the engine. But as it was and still is an original HEMI car, the engine block must have been orange coloured.

The valve covers are not glued yet, maybe I should put the one with the oil fill cap to the left/ driver side?

IMG_20171211_151035.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

35 minutes ago, Reuhkapelti said:

Thanks gtx6970! W-409, in the imagination world we should race, you in that Malibu and me in my Belvedere. I might have more power, but no grip with those razor blade tires :lol:. And not to mention your experience on the track...

The HEMI engine got some paint, hopefully close enough to the right colour. No chrome here, so I stripped all the chrome off of the valve covers and painted them matt black. I have no photos from the original engine of the 1:1 car I'm modelling here, so it's gonna be a wild guess, what color theme there was on the engine. But as it was and still is an original HEMI car, the engine block must have been orange colored.

The valve covers are not glued yet, maybe I should put the one with the oil fill cap to the left/ driver side?

Color looks about right .,but hard to tell on PC monitors

But yes , valve covers are on the wrong side

In the real world the engine is orange, black valve covers , aluminum carbs, chrome round air cleaner, dist body is aluminum, dist cap is tan, spark plug wires are black . The OEM installed oil filter was green , engine pulleys were black, , alternator is aluminum.

( FYI, the 1966 and 1967 are identical )  The transmission  is supposed to be bare cast iron ,,,not orange as shown here

image.png.994f77d6b28a426fbfbf00db6c00f2fb.png

image.png.caf0b10519373cfce289979867af7f9e.png

Edited by gtx6970

7 hours ago, Reuhkapelti said:

Yep those tires don't quite hook up.:lol: But that '78 Malibu isn't very light car and with the original 350 SBC you'd probably catch me in the top end... Or then I could take out the '74 Malibu...?:P

Edited by W-409

3 hours ago, W-409 said:

Yep those tires don't quite hook up.:lol: But that '78 Malibu isn't very light car and with the original 350 SBC you'd probably catch me in the top end... Or then I could take out the '74 Malibu...?:P

Nope you haven't made any topic of '74 Malibu, or have you ;)? Maybe it's time to build your racer in 1:25 too?

Thanks El Caballo and great info gtx6970!

Those hubcaps in my Belvedere came from a true master of modelling. They are very sharp, and just right for a '67 Plymouth. I put Molotow chrome on them. But those five spoke wheels are cool too. Which to choose? Left side hubcaps, right side five spoke wheels maybe.

IMG_20171211_184821.jpg

IMG_20171211_184809.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti

8 hours ago, Reuhkapelti said:

Nope you haven't made any topic of '74 Malibu, or have you ;)? Maybe it's time to build your racer in 1:25 too?

Yep I guess I should do that! I have two '75 Malibu Stock Car kits on the stash, the other one of them will be modified into our Stock Eliminator car. There are just some little details like the grille that need to be figured out before starting....:P

As for the wheels/hubcaps, both of them look really good. But maybe I'd end up with the hubcaps myself?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay some progress on this project. I got the headers done, but forgot to shoot a picture before installing them. They are made of Evergreen 2.0 mm rod. 

Then I twisted the same plastic rod to make the exhaust tips to be positioned beside the rear wheels. 

The windows are cut and placed where they belong. I hate that part of modelling, windows I mean. I would do more car model body work, if there wouldnt always be the need of window work ahead.

IMG_20171229_184643.jpg

IMG_20171229_184715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...