Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What type of engine is this/what's the HP

It is from the revell 359 peterbiult kit.

I know it's a cat engine but how many cubic inches is it, how much horse power would it have and what type of transmission is it? 

another question, would it be possible to run 3 turbos on it like I have it set up right now?

thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jim is correct about the engine. That kind of multiple turbo setup might be plausible on a pulling truck or tractor but usually in those applications the turbos are paired where a smaller turbo uses the exhaust to spool up a larger turbo that is connected to the intake.

This engine is a lower hp engine as it doesn't have an aftercooler, 3406 engines over 350 hp had aftercooler, either air to air or water to air depending on version and a 3406B (wich looks basically the same as the A except for the aftercooler) could have up to 425 hp.
If a truck engine has two or more turbos it's often a two stage system as Brian said, one or two smaller turbos feeds a larger turbo to increase the boost, that's not that common on road going trucks nowadays, but Cat had the two stage system on some C15's and Cummins also had it with the NTC 475.
Sometimes mostly on V8's and V12's you can use two smaller turbos instead of one larger as the smaller turbos spool up quicker.

Edited by Force

Thanks guys. I am building the truck as a race truck for the cannonball run community build and just want the engine to make lots of HP. So it won't be pulling a trailer. But you guys did give me an idea to run an inercooler and if anyone has pics of a bigrig inercooler that would be great ( I have a problem with google images and it won't let me view any pics) that would help a lot. 

Thanks

Horsepower is not that hard to make in a truck diesel, getting around 800-1000 hp is not unusual if you do it right and you don't even need multiple turbos for that, I believe the strongest regular production truck engine is the Volvo D16 with 750 hp directly from the production line, with a little tinkering you can get it up to the numbers I mentioned.
A air to air intercooler is just a radiator often made of aluminum that sits in front of the regular water radiator, the compressed hot air from the turbos goes in on one side and the cooled air to the intake manifold exits on the opposite side, the air tubes on the intercooler can also be at the top or bottom depending on how it fits best for the application.

Edited by Force

Here is a picture of how the Cat 3406 water to air aftercooler looks (the grey part).

Relaterad bild

And here is an example of how an air to air aftercooler can look like.
Many call this setup intercooler, both are the same thing as they cool the charged air.
To straighten out the questionmarks about this, The Inter prefix in the device name originates from historic compressor designs. In the past, aircraft engines were built with Charge Air Coolers that were installed between multiple stages of supercharging, thus the designation of Inter.
Likewise, the After prefix refers to cooler placed at the end of supercharging chain, so for a truck aftercooler is more correct.

Bildresultat för caterpillar aftercooler radiator