Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 hours ago, LDO said:

Great job on the weathering. What techniques/materials are you using? I'm halfway through only the second armor model I have ever built. I have to say, weathering techniques have taken a quantum leap in the last 15-20 years.

I just use craft acrylics and cheap artist oil paints.  I don't use any fancy techniques I just kind of build things up in layers. I clear coat with duplicolor gloss in between each painting stage and in the end I just spray it with liqutex Matt varnish. You don't need to spend a fortune on gimmick products.

I'm with you on the high price of the weathering products. I do like the idea of a lot of these new techniques, but the price is outrageous. Especially anything by Mig. It could discourage people from getting into armor modeling.  I found a source for pigments in 100gram sizes for about 4 bucks. I went to Mig's website to compare prices. Not only are people paying a ridiculous markup to have it put in a tiny container, some of his illustrations are lifted from the Earth Pigments website. 100 grams is the smallest size offered. He darn sure buys in bigger quantities to pay less per kg. I'm a member at an armor modeling website. I thought about starting a thread about weathering for less money, but Mig is an advertiser and plenty of posters have no problem with the prices, even when they know about the crazy markup. Some believe Mig products are "made for the hobby". I didn't start the thread because I figured it might get deleted or start a flame war. Oh yeah- a local art supply store has Winsor & Newton oil paints for less than Abteilung 502 paints and a lot less than Michael's/ Hobby Lobby. As much as 75% less than those 2 stores.

On December 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM, LDO said:

I'm with you on the high price of the weathering products. I do like the idea of a lot of these new techniques, but the price is outrageous. Especially anything by Mig. It could discourage people from getting into armor modeling.  I found a source for pigments in 100gram sizes for about 4 bucks. I went to Mig's website to compare prices. Not only are people paying a ridiculous markup to have it put in a tiny container, some of his illustrations are lifted from the Earth Pigments website. 100 grams is the smallest size offered. He darn sure buys in bigger quantities to pay less per kg. I'm a member at an armor modeling website. I thought about starting a thread about weathering for less money, but Mig is an advertiser and plenty of posters have no problem with the prices, even when they know about the crazy markup. Some believe Mig products are "made for the hobby". I didn't start the thread because I figured it might get deleted or start a flame war. Oh yeah- a local art supply store has Winsor & Newton oil paints for less than Abteilung 502 paints and a lot less than Michael's/ Hobby Lobby. As much as 75% less than those 2 stores.

Agree, anytime I try to suggest using craft supplies they all say oh but to get the best results you need to use such and such name lol. Or they don't take my work seriously for some reason. Really they just rebrand exsisting stuff that can be found for cheap.  They are great for the hobby and all but I'd rather spend my money on my nice mustang gt sitting in my driveway not some pigments for my models lol.  

That's a great build, with a very realistic finish.  It looks better than some armor models I've seen with all those expensive name-brand products used on them.

TL; DR, Usual Tedious Rant:  I've also done some comparison shopping and can't believe the mark-ups.  On an armor board once, I saw A Famous Vendor Himself defend the price of his weathering powders by saying they're "scientifically ground to be consistent."  Or words to that effect.  But we use those things to show dust, mud and other natural stuff that is NEVER consistent. That seems weird. 

Reading a lot of the weathering-type magazines, it seems that one guy comes up with a new technique with a spiffy new name:  filters, zenithal shading,  Black-And-White shading etc. etc.  And lo and behold - in a week or so, there's a whole new, expensive line of paints, powders or whatever! And you must buy the new products to accomplish those effects.  It almost gets to be like some goofy religious cult.

Well, baloney.  Most of those "new techniques" aren't new at all.  They're the same techniques Shep Paine and Verlinden were doing decades ago, they just have new names.  Shep Paine used cheap tempera paints when he started out because he couldn't afford anything else.

Having said that, I did buy a few "name-brand" products.  I like some of the oil paints because they save some mixing, but I also have some cheap, basic art-store oil paints like Burnt Umber (great for simulating 1/25 scale engine grease). 

I bought one expensive "Mud" product. That stuff dried up in its jar and became useless very quickly, even though I was careful with it.  So I'll go back to my regular mud: spackle-type plaster mixed with cheap acrylic craft paint.  That's more fun anyway, and I can make it look exactly the way I want. /rant.