Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrysler Van Problems-Can ANY ONE HELP ?

Hey folks Iv'e got a real problem on my hands, a 1-1 PROBLEM and a half!!!!!!! It seems like it would happen every three or so months, maybe longer. Any way its a Chrysler mini van II inherited from my Father who bought it new in 1997, JUst as it hit 100,000 thousand miles, it would act up. You would go to start the van, it would start of course but it would only run for about ten seconds if that long. The only way I could successfully get the van to run would be to wait at least an hour to try and re staert the motor Of course when I do that the van stars fine for the3 rest of the day. Now this won't happen for months!!!!!! It wouldn't be so bad except that I use this van for my work and I really don't have too much experience with vehicles built after Elvis Presley died. I feel like i'm going to have to sell this ride because no one seems to have a good answer. Ed Shaver

Hey folks Iv'e got a real problem on my hands, a 1-1 PROBLEM and a half!!!!!!! It seems like it would happen every three or so months, maybe longer. Any way its a Chrysler mini van II inherited from my Father who bought it new in 1997, JUst as it hit 100,000 thousand miles, it would act up. You would go to start the van, it would start of course but it would only run for about ten seconds if that long. The only way I could successfully get the van to run would be to wait at least an hour to try and re staert the motor Of course when I do that the van stars fine for the3 rest of the day. Now this won't happen for months!!!!!! It wouldn't be so bad except that I use this van for my work and I really don't have too much experience with vehicles built after Elvis Presley died. I feel like i'm going to have to sell this ride because no one seems to have a good answer. Ed Shaver

Sounds like possibly the courstesy modual is going bad.

Ed, you may want Chrysler to check out the starter switch on the car.

I had a similar problem with my Saturn not long after I bought it where the car would start but it would run for about 5 seconds then shut off for no reason. I'd try and start it again, but it would do nothing, yet I had lights, radio, horn, etc.

After about 15 min. or so, the car would start like nothing was wrong with it and the problem would not return for about 3 weeks or so. After the 3rd time it did this I checked online to see if anyone else was having the same problem with '04-'07 Saturns.

Turned out there were a LOT of folks having the same problem--------it turned out to be the starter switch was manufactured with too heavy an oil. When it got cold out (This was November) the starter switch was not making full contact which would then drop an error code on the BCM. (Body Control Module).

The dealer replaced the switch, but I also had to remind them to reprogram the BCM so that it would recognize the new hardware (Like your PC) and not act up down the road. I also found out that GM sent out a TCB (Technical Service Bullletin) on the problem so they new not to replace the switch with "old stock".

I've had no problem since. Interestingly, GM refuses to recall them because they say it's not a safety issue. I say the heck it's not! It's 5° outside and your car won't start and your in the middle of nowhere...................that's not a safety hazard??

I suspect it's because a new BCM is something like $600 as opposed to $90 for a starter switch and time to reprogram the BCM-------that's the real issue.

Anyway, it's just a thought as it sounds similar to the problem I had but my car has nowhere near the miles that yours does. :blink:

Edit: I want to add that the BCM controlled the anti-theft system in the car, so when it got an error code from the starter switch--------I guess the BCM thought the car was being stolen, so it shut down the electrical connection from the switch to the starter.

After 15 min, it resets itself but you have to try starting it right at the 15 min. mark.

Cars, cars, cars, you gotta have 'em but they can drive you up a street!........and that's no pun!

Edited by MrObsessive

Guest zebm1

I had a girlfriend who had that problem, traced tha Hotlead down from tha battery and found a spot on tha wire that had split open. Over tha years it got very corroded, went to wiggle it and it broke apart. replaced tha Hotlead..... no problems since......also GF moved on too...... :blink:

Now that I look at you're problem it sounds a little like a problem my sister had with the alarm installed in her '92 Cherokee Brairwood before she purchased it (don't know if it was factory, but it had been there a long, long time!) Seems that sometimes her truck would refuse to start for no reason, Dad even took the starter over to a local parts house that had a machine to check it them and it worked fine! Finally they figured out that if she tried to unlock the door a second time with her key it would start. Dad even tried to get rid of the alarm system and has had to replace both the alternator and starter in the last year but it still does it from time to time...........

You need to have someone with a GOOD scanner and read the trouble codes in all of the modules in the vehicle. Most likely, there is a code in the PCM that reads " Fuel pump shutdown due to VTSS( vehicle theft security system)" By the way, does it have an aftermarket alarm system, or is it a factory Mopar system?

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but in this case, I've never ran into this problem, either on my own 2000 or my daughter's 98 Caravans. Sounds to me like Dodge-Tech has the right idea, always good to get the codes checked on any late model vehicle before you run down a bunch of blind alleys. One quick check you may do is find the fitting for checking the pressure on the fuel injection. A pressure gauge is nice, but just like a tire valve, if you press it carefully, some pressure will relieve and you may even get some fuel. If not, then either the fuel pump has gone bad or something wrong in the system that turns it on. If nothing else, pop off the baffling for the air cleaner and give it a small shot of ether, if it runs on that for awhile, or keeps running, obviously you've got a problem in the fuel system. If not, check the ignition and electronics.

However, I think that getting the codes checked is a good idea, regardless.

Guest zebm1

Always, always remember, auto run on a DC (that's Direct Current) Voltage system. And unlike an AC Voltage system any increase in resistence will cause all kinds of freaky things to happen. Take a for instance my daughter calls, says her hubby's SUV won't start, they jump it and it runs....they drive it, but it still won't start. They take it to some mechanic, he says, "You need a new alternator...and a Battery." I tell daughter No. 1, just change the Battery, under Warranty and see what happens. They do....and guess what, don't need a new alternator.

Batteries don't last forever yall, especially these days since you can't even "top off" the Cells with Distilled water. I prefer the KISS Principles when dealing with DC Voltage systems.

Edited by zebm1

Always, always remember, auto run on a DC (that's Direct Current) Voltage system. And unlike an AC Voltage system any increase in resistence will cause all kinds of freaky things to happen. Take a for instance my daughter calls, says her hubby's SUV won't start, they jump it and it runs....they drive it, but it still won't start. They take it to some mechanic, he says, "You need a new alternator...and a Battery." I tell daughter No. 1, just change the Battery, under Warranty and see what happens. They do....and guess what, don't need a new alternator.

Batteries don't last forever yall, especially these days since you can't even "top off" the Cells with Distilled water. I prefer the KISS Principles when dealing with DC Voltage systems.

Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons know how to fix electrical troubles in cars???

You need to have someone with a GOOD scanner and read the trouble codes in all of the modules in the vehicle. Most likely, there is a code in the PCM that reads " Fuel pump shutdown due to VTSS( vehicle theft security system)" By the way, does it have an aftermarket alarm system, or is it a factory Mopar system?
Being a Technical Service Training Instructor for the "old Chrysler Corporation" (past tense, now disabled), "Dodge Tech" has the right idea.... have a qualified technician run some basic scanner diagnostics. Excellent advise, and don't forget the basics. :D Fury3

I agree with Fury3 & Dodge Tech, that sounds like a problem best left alone and go to the Chrysler dealer as they have the right computer equipment to spot the problem right away and it sure would be a lot cheaper than replacing every single part til you find the right one too! Messing with todays auto electronic systems is like hand feeding sharks, it will zap ya bro!...and your wallet too! B)

Like Zeb, I like the KISS theory myself and another reason why I love '60s cars...easy to fix & no fuss or muss either! well...a few cuss words now & then or a hammer should her going!... :lol:

~ Jeff