Model Cars Magazine Forum

i wish they would

i wish they would  put a size bigger tire in all these kits  ya build  a 50 ford pick up  and i wish the tire was 2 sizes bigger  - i know i could buy tires seperate  but that probably gets into $$$ -  oh well just had to vent a little - you`ll have a great week

I've always thought tires look a little small too, but I also think it's an optical illusion. If you look at real cars and try to mentally erase the darkness of the surrounding wheel wells, the tires do look a little small. I'm certain most kit wheels are scale correct.

2v2JvmuTmxfGubg.jpg

2v2JvmuSTxfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

Some kits do have undersized wheels and tires...Revell in particular known for it..like the C6 Corvette ZR-1--the wheels and tires were way undersized.  The recent early 70s Ford Bronco has undersized wheels.   The '83 and '85 Old Cutlasses have undersized tires, esp. for the FE3-X version.   Many of their Revell of Germany models as well....

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

To me , the Revell Ford dually tires look way undersize.

One, maybe because they are nothing more than the "street" "custom" rear Goodyear G/T Radials that came in every 3 in 1 Monogram (remember, the first issues of these trucks were a Monogram kit) car kit that offered the stock, street, and drag building versions. 

Two, maybe because the tires used on the real 1:1 trucks are very undersized as well! This is my 1990 F350 dually with the LT 235/85/16s that is the factory size for the truck, and though mine is a heavy duty equipped 4x4, they barely even need a wheel well on my truck! 

HPIM1845.thumb.JPG.b6731e4ec750a33d17f2347ce72a766a.JPG

HPIM1844.thumb.JPG.7633d2a9702d20442c9376f397643e70.JPG

25 minutes ago, highway said:

One, maybe because they are nothing more than the "street" "custom" rear Goodyear G/T Radials that came in every 3 in 1 Monogram (remember, the first issues of these trucks were a Monogram kit) car kit that offered the stock, street, and drag building versions. 

Two, maybe because the tires used on the real 1:1 trucks are very undersized as well! This is my 1990 F350 dually with the LT 235/85/16s that is the factory size for the truck, and though mine is a heavy duty equipped 4x4, they barely even need a wheel well on my truck! 

HPIM1845.thumb.JPG.b6731e4ec750a33d17f2347ce72a766a.JPG

HPIM1844.thumb.JPG.7633d2a9702d20442c9376f397643e70.JPG

Nice truck. I can’t help but notice the gap in between the cab and box, was it a cab and chassis originally? What motor is in it? 

1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

Nice truck. I can’t help but notice the gap in between the cab and box, was it a cab and chassis originally? What motor is in it? 

Thanks, though she's a little rougher now since the pic is about 10 years old. 

The gap is indeed from it being born as a chassis cab, but the previous owner but the regular bed on it. It's got the 7.3 L non turbo diesel under the hood. It was the engine just prior to the introduction of the 7.3 Powerstroke turbo engine.