Model Cars Magazine Forum

camouflage

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Slusher, what kind of stencils are you looking for? What exactly are you trying to achieve? 

Just have some ideas of building a pick up and camouflaging it. I can do it with spray cans but was wondering if there was stencils.

Unless your building a a late '70s-late '80s Dodge /GMCs which were used by the U.S.Army and were painted with the then-standard MERDC pattern, just freehand the pattern. If you're building something more contemporary, google "camouflaged technical pickups" and check out the images. All of the camo is non-standard, field-applied stuff. This Waffen SS-style Plane Tree Pattern camo is interesting:

Image result for camouflaged technical pickup

Some armor modelers are using Silly Putty for masking camo.

mmzimg1435120984692.jpg

mmzimg1435120993649.jpg

IMHO, it's a pretty cool idea. You don't waste paper by cutting masks, and it goes around corners with no problems at all. I found some at the checkout area of a Hobbytown USA for 99 cents per package.

...or Silly Putty by another name.

Edited by LDO

2 hours ago, LDO said:

Some armor modelers are using Silly Putty for masking camo.

mmzimg1435120984692.jpg

mmzimg1435120993649.jpg

IMHO, it's a pretty cool idea. You don't waste paper by cutting masks, and it goes around corners with no problems at all. I found some at the checkout area of a Hobbytown USA for 99 cents per package.

...or Silly Putty by another name.

Wow, that's a great idea Lee, I'll have to remember that I hope?

Most if not all US military equipment is painted using stencils and has a  hard edge . Our booth used them for each type equipment,  until everything was sprayed CARC tan . Touch ups which were frequent was done free hand . When I paint armor in 3 tone NATO or other it's with an airbrush and use silly putty or blue tack.. 

3 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Most if not all US military equipment is painted using stencils and has a  hard edge . Our booth used them for each type equipment,  until everything was sprayed CARC tan . Touch ups which were frequent was done free hand . When I paint armor in 3 tone NATO or other it's with an airbrush and use silly putty or blue tack.. 

Thanks, saving all these tips...