Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stock 34 Ford kits

I am going to be weird and build a 4 cylinder version and was wondering if a stock 34 kit is being made today,I have some of the parts from the 60s Monogram kit and the 90s kit to possibly build one if I can find the parts I am missing. I did some research and the 33/34 4 cylinder motor looks alot like a model A motor so I want to try it.

Saw a few of the stock '34 Cabriolet kits when I was a NNL West, but i think they were likely '70s -era releases.
The AMT kit, as poorly-proportioned as it may be, has stock bits in it, but I don't know of any kit that sports the Model B/40 'banger.

As you said, conversion of the Model A engine shouldn't be too big a deal, and the stock Model A or '32 front axle will get you pretty close to a model 40 front end.

Edited by Dirty Dave

The EARLY Monogram kit is by far the BEST of the stock-buildable '34s, but it is 1/24.  image.jpeg.ca21845a90a090004fa1ee04b5361eb8.jpeg

Yes, the '34 4 cylinder is just about identical to a '32, which is visually very similar to a model-A engine.

Of the other available '34 kits (on eBay, fairly cheap), the 1/25 AMT 5-window coupe is best. image.jpeg.d6a283064ff087d5c8c50e0dde8872f3.jpeg

Then the AMT 2-door sedan..but it has more problems with proportions.

The AMT 3-window coupe is trash.   Image result for AMT 34 ford

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am going to hunt down the parts from the 60s kit since I have some of those and the 90s version but not everything I need,if I can come up with another 90s kit for the chassis I do have a 60s kit built stock that I can rob the chassis from if I can get it apart without breaking since it was heavily glued..

21 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I do have a built Monogram A that I can rob the motor from but I might keep that one stock,now if I can find a 1/24 Y block then the A will be rebuilt as a hotrod.

Look for a Monogram '56 T-Bird.  The engine is a little simplistic, but no worse than most kits of that vintage.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:38 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I do have a built Monogram A that I can rob the motor from but I might keep that one stock,now if I can find a 1/24 Y block then the A will be rebuilt as a hotrod.

Monogram '30 Model A Ford kits, particularly the coupe, are quite plentiful, the coupe being the most available, as it's been reissued several times in the last 20-25 yrs or so--shouldn't be much more than a $10-spot at model car shows.

And, the visual differences between the Model A 4cyl and the '32-early '34 Model B 4-cyl are few, with most of them being invisible to the naked eye in model kit form.  Perhaps the most visible difference is in the water pump (right behind the fan) which on the Model A was held on by 4 bolts, two on each side, while the Model B water pump used just three bolts, two at the top, one at the bottom, to secure it to the front of the cylinder head.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

• 1 month later...

I am not too impressed with this AMT 34 Ford kit,I do not like how the hood needs to be glued to the grille and the front suspension sat too high when trying to use stock parts so no more of them. I am going to find the needed parts for what I have of the Monogram kit and make a 4 cylinder version from one of them.