Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shapeways figures

89AKurt

I stumbled upon the site for Shapeways, which seems to have hundreds of figures.  I was scrolling through the 1/24 scale figurines, see some .... uh ..... figures .... wow .... don't let your wife see them. :blink:  Otherwise, they also have dogs, and guns.  I was looking for children, and some are available are stiff poses, but I could go from there.

Anyone have experience with their nylon, flexible, material?  How is it to work with, compared to resin?  Does the real thing look like the computer illustration?

Hi Kurt, and I can recommend Shapeways 3D printed figures from first hand experience. The website, as you have probably found already, has an enormous range of products available and you do have to spend dome time browsing through the pages of figures. Also, and this is a personal view, they show a white figure on a white background, so I find it a little difficult to determine the precise pose and features of each figure. However on the plus side, the quality of the figures is extremely good, the prices are not always expensive, the delivery is quick and reliable from the Netherlands and the after sales support is really good. Myself, I uploaded the design file for my 3D CAD created Rolls-Royce 6 cylinder engine in 1:24 scale and not only did Shapeways produce a nice model for me, but when there were some initial issues they sorted out the problem by a series of helpful emails from a person who genuinely cared about the result.

The material that the Shapeways figures are printed from is very odd, in the sense that it doesn't like super glue, which doesn't seem to work, also bare metal foil will not stick to the material and although you can cut the material with a hacksaw, it is a very hard material. That said, you can paint the figures with enamel paint once the figure has been thoroughly washed in soapy water, and I haven't tried acrylic paint yet. My best two figures would be the man who appears in the blue suit in my diorama photos, and also the lady with the long pale blue dress. When I did have a problem with one of the other figures, which was one that would not stand up, I was able to email the designer directly and he made great efforts to change the design of his figure, eventually sending me a second figure free of charge.

Sourcing 1:24 scale figures is actually very difficult, with a limited choice on the market so it is refreshing to see this vast amount of products being offered by the Shapeways company. You can see the figure in 3D view before you order it and they do state the precise dimensions of the figure or object. All the items are available in a range of material types and colours ( and prices ), so there is everything from white strong and flexible, to ultra frosted detail, even silver, gold and stainless steel ! The Shapeways company seem to be the most forward thinking, innovative provider of 3D printed products on the planet.

David J Watson

Guns:  I bought some 1/24 scale AK-47 rifles from Shapeways.  They were molded in the "Ultra-Detail Frost" material and look great, with really fine detail.  I needed several for building Middle Eastern "technical" vehicles and such in 1/24.

The 1/24 plastic figure scene is much better than it was just a few years ago, thanks to companies like ICM and MasterBox.  Some of the MasterBox 1/24 female figures are reviewed in Issue #205 of our favorite magazine, on Page 5.

Edited by Mike999
omit

4 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Hi Kurt, and I can recommend Shapeways 3D printed figures from first hand experience. ... The Shapeways company seem to be the most forward thinking, innovative provider of 3D printed products on the planet.

David J Watson

Thank you very much for the detailed response!  I have a concept involving two boys who got into trouble, this has been the spark to move forward.  The process you explained for modifying a figure, is that why there seems to be repeats when scanning the 90+ pages?  Regarding glue, good to know, guess drill and wire pins with epoxy is an alternative?

Mike999:  I saw those Masterbox female figures on HobbyLink, most of them out-of-stock at the time.  Some of the offerings from Shapeways would .... uh ..... spice up a display.

Yes Kurt..... That is what I intend to do with some figures, which is to drill and wire pin with epoxy to change the position of arms and legs. Don't know why there are duplicated figures on some of the many pages that you can browse through, and they do seem to be the same figure with no changes. As long as you get a figure without a base and provided you can paint the figure to a realistic high standard, the end result can be really good. As far as I am concerned, if the building looks real and the cars look real, then figures that don't look real cannot be added to the diorama because they will compromise everything you are trying to achieve.

David

Ive purchased several things from Shapeways,and in short,they have some really excellent products.The items are very detailed,as well..I bought some pro mod cars from them,and they were great.However the draw back,is that there is quite a bit of sanding,filling,molding, volved.But it would definitely be worth it.

David:  From what I can tell, I would scribe between arms and body for a start, and clothes edges.  Agree with realism, a pet peeve of mine is shiny clothing.

Ron:   Thanks for your input too.  I didn't see many 1/24 scale cars, a couple of Hudsons, but if they are anything like the rendering, looks like lots of block sanding.

Sorry,put drag racing cars in the search section,on their site,and you should see them,in all different scales,and different cars.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Put on in drag racing cars in search on their site,and you should see the different  scales,and cars.

• 1 year later...