Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kits offer 8-lug wheels?

I'm wondering if anyone knows what kits offer 8-lug wheels in them?

I do know that Scenes Unlimited makes some really nice resin steel wheels and from what I have found in my own stash there is 8-lug wheels in the Revell/Monogram Chevy/GMC 1:24 pickup and the 1:24 55 Ford panel van. But are there others?

Edited by Atmobil

1 hour ago, 440 Dakota said:

two that come to mind is the 70's Dodge trucks which are plain steel style and the current Mount n Goat has 8 lug wagon wheels for some reason

I think without actually comparing the two, those wagon wheels are also the same as the GMC truck that was most recently as the Deserter and could explain them being 8 lugs. Also, at least from other comments I've seen here but can't confirm for sure, but those wheels were originally from a 1/20th scale kit, an offroad van if I remember correctly. 

27 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

AMT 6629 1965 Pontiac 2+2 includes 8-lug wheels.

Image result for AMT 6629 Pontiac 2+2

Though the OP didn't specify other than mentioning a couple of truck kits in his original post, I'm guessing the OP is looking for 8 lug 1 ton truck wheels, not car wheels. 

4 hours ago, Atmobil said:

there is 8-lug wheels in the Revell/Monogram Chevy/GMC 1:24 pickup 

2 hours ago, 426 pack said:

The revell gmc plow truck 

I believe all the 1/24 Monogram/Revell '73-'86 Chevy/GMC kits include six lug wheels, not eight-lug. I know for sure the Rally truck wheels are six lug, as are all the other variants which fit the Goodyear Tracker A-T tires, including both styles of  Dodge Ramcharger wheels.

Here are two eight-lug wheels below. THe wheel on the left might be from a 1/25 scale dually kit or promo? The second, from AMT's annual Ford pickup kits, is very nice:

WP_20180310_002.jpg

WP_20180310_003.jpg

1 hour ago, highway said:

I think without actually comparing the two, those wagon wheels are also the same as the GMC truck that was most recently as the Deserter and could explain them being 8 lugs. Also, at least from other comments I've seen here but can't confirm for sure, but those wheels were originally from a 1/20th scale kit, an offroad van if I remember correctly. 

I believe all the wheels used with the 1/20 MPC PVC Desert Dog tires have eight lugs, regardless of which kit they are included with.

Maybe the AMT Orange Blossom Special includes 8-lug rear wheels? I think the front wheels are six-lug.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I believe all the 1/24 Monogram/Revell '73-'86 Chevy/GMC kits include six lug wheels, not eight-lug. I know for sure the Rally truck wheels are six lug, as are all the other variants which fit the Goodyear Tracker A-T tires, including both styles of  Dodge Ramcharger wheels.

Here are two eight-lug wheels below. THe wheel on the left might be from a 1/25 scale dually kit or promo? The second, from AMT's annual Ford pickup kits, is very nice:

WP_20180310_002.jpg

WP_20180310_003.jpg

The rims on the gmc plow truck has 8 bolt wheels.

5D86D192-4745-4AC3-A798-E4C81FA62056.png

3 hours ago, highway said:

Though the OP didn't specify other than mentioning a couple of truck kits in his original post, I'm guessing the OP is looking for 8 lug 1 ton truck wheels, not car wheels. 

I didn't see that in the original post. That info must've been the reason for the edit he made.

You are correct in that I did not specify what 8-lug wheels I was looking for, the reason for editing was just for spelling correction.
The 65 Pontiac kit was not exactly what I was thinking of but they are cool wheels and I will keep that in mind for later.

However, what I was thinking of is that in our 1:1 world there is a lot of different aftermarket wheels with 8-lug bolt pattern for vans and trucks.

The stock looking steel wheels that Scenes Unlimited has looks very good, but I was thinking more of aftermarket type wheels.
As I said in my first post, I got the 1:24 GMC snow plow truck and the Monogram 1:24 55 Ford panel truck has 8 lug turbine wheels.

The wheels in the GMC kit looks very nice and the wheels in the 55 Ford would look great on a 70s van.
I do also have the Monogram Ford F350 dually and the dually wheels can be used for several 1-ton trucks.
But what about those 3/4 ton trucks and vans?
I do have the AMT Snap Dodge Ram 2500 and that got 8-bolt rims but they are the stock wheels and are kind of hard to use on something else.

Let say one wants to convert the AMT Chevy van to a G20 or make a C20 or F250 or a D200.
The picture that Casey posted above with the two rims is a great example. Maybe the dually rim comes from the AMT Snap Chevy or Dodge Dually?
That rim from the annual Ford truck kit would be great to have some sets of, they can be used in many applications.

But are there others?
Maybe kits that should not really have 8-lug wheels in them.
I know that several older MPC and AMT kits with more than one wheel set in them often had one set of wheels that was "stock" and the second was an aftermarket set. Manytimes these had different bolt patterns than the stock.
One example that I just found in my own stash in the MPC Chevy Cavalier that has 5-bolt "stock" wheels and 4 bolt "modular" rims as option.

Early issues of the 1/24 Monogram Chevy Van kits include 8-lug "wagon" wheels and turbine style wheels, much like those found in the 1/24 Monogram '55 Ford Panel Truck kit. From the one-time-only Monogram Chevy Off-Road Van" 4x4 kit:

ORVwheel.jpg

More info and pics here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/8/24-monogram-chevy-van-kits

Edited by Casey