Model Cars Magazine Forum

Soapy Sales Challenger Box Build

Hi Peter,

I don't think I've seen this model built before. Did you know that there is an Aussie connection to Larry Huff?  I believe he and another drag racer started off Golden Products in Australia.  Golden products are the "soap" referred to in Soapy Sales. Their marketing scheme was known as pyramid selling and it was eventually made illegal after a lot of Aussies lost their shirt.

If you can find some early seventies copies of Australian Hot Rod, Australian Hot Rodding Review or Rodsports, you will find photos of various Soapy Sales cars when they came out to run our summer drag racing season.  I cant be certain if your model was one of the cars that came out here.

Just a hint on your plug leads, which are very neatly fitted, try gently pushing down on the middle of each loom with your finger so that they have a more natural droop to them.   Google up some photos of Top Fuel engines and you will see what I mean.You will be onto fuel lines before you know it!

Alan

Hi Allan, I didn’t know that, I’ve got some old Aussie Hot Rod mags tucked away, I’ll look into it.

And yeah, I had such a time using the metal dizzy and sticking the wires to it that I was terrified to try and bend them so they’d look right. They look a bit goofy like they do. Thanks for the tip.

Peter