Model Cars Magazine Forum

The next build is on the bench.  I'm working with an old resin casting of a Reo that has the squared off fenders and hood to convert back into a Gold Comet like the one in the first photo.  There is a lot to do to get the cab right.  At first I thought I could dive right in but the more I studied photos of the Comet and how the casting looks the more flaws I saw.  So the front end was sawed off and the windshield line needed to be changed.

CC-221-011-1200.jpg.29f6de4dc677bb1568b030e49678c39a.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.537778b92e38c00c6039e844e57118bd.JPG

I took a '41 Chevy, cut the cab in half lengthwise and inserted a section 7mm wide.  I then cut the top of the cab off and took out a similar size piece from the casting and inserted the plastic roof in place.  It made an immediate difference.  The windshield was next that required reshaping.  Originally the windshield was virtually straight across and did not look like anything close to the real thing.

003.thumb.JPG.a36590d9253041078d2566dc6fe2f2d1.JPG

A new windshield surround was made from some 0.010" sheet brass.  After taping down a paper template of the windshield opening a brass shape was made and bent to fit into the opening.  Then a thin strip was cut from the same sheet and soldered around the perimeter of it.  The strip was trimmed flush with the brass shape on one side and trimmed to a thin edge on the opposite side like what you see in the photo above in front of the modified cab.  In the photo you are looking at the inside surface.  In effect a trim piece has been made into which the clear glass can be inserted once all is in place.  Obviously the inside of the brass shape has to be cut away but that will be done after the shape is permanently attached to the cab with some two part epoxy.  Doing it that way will avoid damaging or distorting it in any way.  Final trimming will be done with files to obtain a smooth outline.  The next photo shows the brass insert in the windshield opening.  The areas around the insert can be filled with putty where needed.

004.thumb.JPG.8f146e927d4d33e6963d8ee18eac9eaf.JPG

With that done the next step will be to separate the top half of the cab from the bottom half.  It is badly distorted and not cleanly done at the belt line so it will have to be rebuilt.  That's it for now.  More to come as we get into the next part of the modifications.

A company I used to work for had a clone of that truck, in red, out in the back just sitting there for years. I asked, one day, if it was for sale. Had a gold colored V-8 engine, if I remember correctly. NO was the resounding answer. Live and learn, I guess. That company NEVER sold anything. And they kept to their routine with the Reo. Within a week, the owner had a guy out in the back cutting it up into little bitty pieces. Gone. After paying a union welder to cut it up, and adding in scrap price, it probably cost him 500 bucks to get rid of it. I would have GLADLY paid that or more, as it still ran. Some people just are stupid. That guy did the same thing with MANY old pieces of iron. The list would make you cry.

2 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

A company I used to work for had a clone of that truck, in red, out in the back just sitting there for years. I asked, one day, if it was for sale. Had a gold colored V-8 engine, if I remember correctly. NO was the resounding answer. Live and learn, I guess. That company NEVER sold anything. And they kept to their routine with the Reo. Within a week, the owner had a guy out in the back cutting it up into little bitty pieces. Gone. After paying a union welder to cut it up, and adding in scrap price, it probably cost him 500 bucks to get rid of it. I would have GLADLY paid that or more, as it still ran. Some people just are stupid. That guy did the same thing with MANY old pieces of iron. The list would make you cry.

I see that way too often here and sometimes with my own family.