Model Cars Magazine Forum

Generation ipod!!!!

Hey guys, just bought an 80GB ipod, I know that there are a lot of you that have them and since I am new and dum at the same time about these things I was wondering if you guys can use this thread to teach us a few tips. I e-mailed PM Jonathan (DUB) so that he can give me a few pointers not only about how to burn CD's into the ipod but also on how to put pictures or videos etc. etc. I am sure that there are other people w/ questions, at least I hope, that would like to know a bit more about this. Thanks!!! ;)

Cruz, I don't have an "Ipod" per se, but I have a Creative Muvo V100 MP3 player.

When you plug in your Ipod into your computer, you'll want to pull up Windows Explorer on you PC. Your Ipod (depending on your system) should show up as "removable disk D or E depending on how many USB ports your machine has.

Now mind you I'm running Windows Vista so things may be a bit different on your end.

Next, put in your CD......it should show up as CD Drive/file name, and you can drag and drop the music from your CD into your Ipod. Now this is assuming your Ipod plays CD audio files and not just MP3's.

If your Ipod will only play MP3's, then you have to convert the CD audio files to MP3. This can be done through Real Player which can save them as an MP3 in a folder of your liking. Then from the folder, drag the music into your Ipod.

Same thing with Pics and Videos, they should be able to be loaded the same way.............of course I could be all wet as Ipod is Itunes and they may be miffed at Microsoft and have there own special way of doing things! :D

If all this was over your head, give me a call on the phone, as I'll be up for the next 3 hours or so! ;)

Cruz, I don't have an "Ipod" per se, but I have a Creative Muvo V100 MP3 player.

When you plug in your Ipod into your computer, you'll want to pull up Windows Explorer on you PC. Your Ipod (depending on your system) should show up as "removable disk D or E depending on how many USB ports your machine has.

Now mind you I'm running Windows Vista so things may be a bit different on your end.

Next, put in your CD......it should show up as CD Drive/file name, and you can drag and drop the music from your CD into your Ipod. Now this is assuming your Ipod plays CD audio files and not just MP3's.

If your Ipod will only play MP3's, then you have to convert the CD audio files to MP3. This can be done through Real Player which can save them as an MP3 in a folder of your liking. Then from the folder, drag the music into your Ipod.

Same thing with Pics and Videos, they should be able to be loaded the same way.............of course I could be all wet as Ipod is Itunes and they may be miffed at Microsoft and have there own special way of doing things! :D

If all this was over your head, give me a call on the phone, as I'll be up for the next 3 hours or so! ;)

Thanks Bill, I am at work right now and all of a sudden I got pretty busy, by the look of things, my system is very different from yours which is giving me a greater headache, I didn't know you spoke chinese :D:D Anyway, I am getting together w/ Johnathan from the CPMCC club, he is real good w/ all this technical bull but any input on this thread by you and others will always be helpful. Thanks my friend!!! :huh:

Actually, having an Apple iPod makes it easier than all that. Just plug it into the computer using the USB cable that came in the box with your iPod and it will auto-launch a set up application that guides you through it. It will install iTunes for you, and let you name your iPod. iTunes will search your computer for existing music and movie files, and add them to the library.

Once that initial set up is done, all you need to do to rip a CD is start iTunes, insert a CD and it will do the rest. To synchronize your iPod with your computer (copy any new music from the computer to the iPod) you just plug it in and it does the rest automatically. Just make sure you don't unplug the iPod before the snych is complete and it returns to the main iPod menu on the small screen.

I picked up an 80G classic about a month ago and it's easier to use than I expected. I've become a science and technology podcast addict now!

(Note: I'm running Windows XP on my computer, so other systems may differ a little)

I wish mine was that simple! What's nice about mine is I can load talk shows for instance in MP3 format directly into the player once I have it plugged in to the port. It's just 1gb, but it's smaller than a cigarette lighter to fit in my front pocket easily.

Shows like "Coast to Coast AM", "Politics and Religion", or any talk show that is in MP3 format I can put in directly without having to save the file in a folder.

Doesn't one have to put in a CD for the IPod first though so the computer can recognize the new hardware? Other 'puters I've used in the past were setup that way.........if not that saves the hassle of waiting for the installation disk to cue up. ;)

What about pictures, how do you go about doing that? My boy Johnathan showed me his pictures of the models he has and that alone made me decide on buying one of these things. Like everything, I know it's a matter of time before I learn to use it but I am desperate :D Thanks for the input fellas!!! ;)

I have no idea how to use a ipod or MP3 or any of that fancy stuff! Shucks, I can't even understand that 600 watt stereo in my '05 Ford! My computer is all the trouble I need and with so many model projects going on, I'am afraid to try to learn anything else in this lifetime! :rolleyes: I do envy all this new tech stuff but at my age & 20th century ideas, doubt I could handle it! :)

Reckons sooner or later, I might join the high tech world.

Have fun with the toys! :lol:

~ Jeff

I have no idea how to use a ipod or MP3 or any of that fancy stuff! Shucks, I can't even understand that 600 watt stereo in my '05 Ford! My computer is all the trouble I need and with so many model projects going on, I'am afraid to try to learn anything else in this lifetime! :rolleyes: I do envy all this new tech stuff but at my age & 20th century ideas, doubt I could handle it! :)

Reckons sooner or later, I might join the high tech world.

Have fun with the toys! :P

~ Jeff

same here, although everyone thinks I should!

I'll soon get into that stuff, I really do like the Ipod Dub has! :lol::P so I can watch my SQUIDBILLIES!!! :lol:

same here, although everyone thinks I should!

I'll soon get into that stuff, I really do like the Ipod Dub has! :lol:;) so I can watch my SQUIDBILLIES!!! :lol:

What???? :blink: You don't have an ipod??? Impossible!!! I thought you would be an expert on this thing already seeing that you young guys just gulp all this tech stuff like candy!!! :P

What???? :lol: You don't have an ipod??? Impossible!!! I thought you would be an expert on this thing already seeing that you young guys just gulp all this tech stuff like candy!!! :P

:lol: nope, no expert about these, not like all the young guys and I'm not huge into electronics. I still ahve my CD player and love it but Ipods are kind of cool, at least with the video too.

What's funny is, I'm supposedly the expert (according to Cruz :P ) and I am one of the last guys into portable audio to give in to the MP3 push! I've had Minidisc equipment for nearly 10 years and the stuff is showing its age. I got the iPod so I could record live music when I found out I could. I still haven't used it for that yet, but I can! :lol:

What's funny is, I'm supposedly the expert (according to Cruz :P ) and I am one of the last guys into portable audio to give in to the MP3 push! I've had Minidisc equipment for nearly 10 years and the stuff is showing its age. I got the iPod so I could record live music when I found out I could. I still haven't used it for that yet, but I can! :lol:

your kinda like me! :lol:

Here's what I do for the photos (there is probably an easier way, but I figured this out by trial and error):

Create a file on your desk top called "iPod photos" or something like that.

Sift through your picture files on your computer and copy and paste a copy of the photos you want into that new folder.

When you plug in your iPod and it starts to synch, there is a tab called "pictures" on the iPod management screen that appears. Click on that tab and you will see a check box for "synch with contents of folder" or something like that (sorry - I'm not on my home computer right now to check the exact wording). Then, browse for the location of your "iPod photos" folder on the desk top. The next time you synch the iPod, it will copy those photos into your iPod.

I also have tonnes of model car photos on mine!

Basically, if you plug it in and play around a little, it should make sense with a little practice.

:blink: Whats funny about all this high tech stuff is that I still have my old 8-track tape players & tapes! She still works fine in this day & age too. :D Now my truck is using CDs..the times sure have changed huh? :o No doubt some young grasshopper will ask me, what is a 8-track tape player?! :lol:

~ Jeff

:lol: Whats funny about all this high tech stuff is that I still have my old 8-track tape players & tapes! She still works fine in this day & age too. :rolleyes: Now my truck is using CDs..the times sure have changed huh? :P No doubt some young grasshopper will ask me, what is a 8-track tape player?! :lol:

~ Jeff

Oh man, I love 8-tracks, I want a player. I have records, does anyone have a player I can play em on? DUB!?!? :lol: Edited by Nick F40

A record player? What's that? :lol:

Oh, you mean one of these:

IMG_2765.jpg

I need to do something about my phono stage so I can listen to it again. The one I have hooked up needs service so bad that I can't listen because there is too much noise. My collection is pretty small at about 350 albums. I know people with ten to twelve times that! Digital still doesn't quite capture the lovely sound of really, really good analog. :rolleyes: I only have a moderate slice of that pie here and I tell you it's addictive! It's just not a good hobby for a lazy personality. The amount of cleaning and adjusting required for that sound can be tiresome. Rats! Now I have to do some equipment shuffling so I can listen again.

A record player? What's that? :P

Oh, you mean one of these:

IMG_2765.jpg

I need to do something about my phono stage so I can listen to it again. The one I have hooked up needs service so bad that I can't listen because there is too much noise. My collection is pretty small at about 350 albums. I know people with ten to twelve times that! Digital still doesn't quite capture the lovely sound of really, really good analog. :D I only have a moderate slice of that pie here and I tell you it's addictive! It's just not a good hobby for a lazy personality. The amount of cleaning and adjusting required for that sound can be tiresome. Rats! Now I have to do some equipment shuffling so I can listen again.

That's why I want to listen, that's pretty sweet! ;)

Hey Cruz...welcome to the 21st century you old fart! :blink::lol: Ned has the 80g (I inherited his old one...I think it's only a 4g). He'll be at the CPMCC picnic and I'm sure he'll have it with him. I think it's permanently attached to him now. If you haven't got it all figured out by next week I'm sure he'd be happy to help out one of his elders!

Hey Cruz...welcome to the 21st century you old fart! :o:o Ned has the 80g (I inherited his old one...I think it's only a 4g). He'll be at the CPMCC picnic and I'm sure he'll have it with him. I think it's permanently attached to him now. If you haven't got it all figured out by next week I'm sure he'd be happy to help out one of his elders!
Thanks Andy, I will make sure to get together w/ him and Jonathan since I have like a million questions!!! And yes, old fart I am specially when I see nowadays that even CD's are becoming ancient with all these computer advancements. What can I say, we gots to keep up with the times right? :(

Thanks Andy, I will make sure to get together w/ him and Jonathan since I have like a million questions!!! And yes, old fart I am specially when I see nowadays that even CD's are becoming ancient with all these computer advancements. What can I say, we gots to keep up with the times right? :lol:

I know CD's are gettin sparce! :lol: I'm going to get an Ipod this week I think anyway so Dub, you might have to help me out especially with the videos! :lol:;)

OK!!! Dub is now the official "Model Cars Magazine ipod technician" ;):D:lol: All questions should be directed to his department!!!!! :lol::lol: By the way Jonathan, I was successful in storing some pictures into the ipod, the computer basically guides you through the steps so even dumb asses like me can do it!!! :lol: Thank you guys for your input on this, I have more stuff to put in there, next, some movies....Now, where did I see Good fellas......... :lol:

I have been having so much fun with this stupid thing it ain't funny!!! :lol: Not only do I have my entire old school Salsa collection in this thing with still lots of room to spare but I have also taken pictures of my models and integrated them into the ipod also. It's great because now my models go with me everywhere I go and I get to show them to everybody, you guys have got to invest in this thing!!!! ;)

Charger003.jpg

Charger023.jpg

This is the model I purchased. The resolution of the pictures is really amazing, these pictures don't do it any kind of justice!

Charger017.jpg

Charger019.jpg

Charger020.jpg

Charger021.jpg

I think the screen is the perfect size too. For guys like Bill Geary and the big show winners out there I don't think theres anything better to own and to show off your precious work, I am loving it, and again, theres is a sh&% load of storage!! I know I sound like a commercial but it really is awesome!! ;)