Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge 66-67 mag wheel covers

Hi All,

This is a resin wheel for 66-67 Dodge and I am trying to figure out what kit or promo it came from.  It looks a bit like an older Modelhaus casting.  Note the centre cap that seems different from the original 69 Coronets.

IMG_0908[1].JPG

Those wheels would have originally been sourced from the old MPC Jeepster Annual (1968?-1970?) kits. The kit wheels did not have the Dodge "Fratzog" in the center caps, they would have been blank. I don't think they originally ever came with any Mopar kit, although hubcaps like those appeared to be optional on many 1:1 1966-67-ish cars: Dodge, Plymouth, Chevrolet, Ford, Jeep, maybe some others.

I believe the only ones I have ever seen made in resin (with the Fratzog) were made by a caster named John Heyer, out of Staten Island, NY. He did a lot of Dodge Coronet & Charger parts for the old MPC kits at one point. That was a LONG time (early 1990's?) ago.    

The following image was borrowed from the WWW:

s-l300.jpg

After doing a Google search, it looks likes this style cover was available on all sorts of autos. I found pics of them with Buick, Chevy, Ford, Plymouth.......

Borrowed from the web:

stang_gt_500kr_the_way_it_was_-vi.jpg

Very similar cover, here.

When Motor Wheel manufactured those wheel covers for the various manufactures in the 60's, they made each set specific to each manufacturer. The Lindberg 66 Chevelle SS396 is the only kit that has the exact wheel cover you want for the 66-69 Mopars, and for that matter, the 68 Shelby GT350/500. Not the 68-9  MPC Jeepster, nor the Revell 65 Z16 Chevelle wheel covers are correct for the particular application. There are differences in the wheel center and the spokes.

The Jeepster wheel covers were re-cast by Missing Link Resin, and may still be in his line. With a little modification, they are perfect for the 68-69 Ford XL/GT and the Pickups from that era.

The 65 Chevelle Z16 wheel covers work for any Chevrolet model from 1965-69. I'm doing a 69 Nova SS with a set of them.

Of course, I scooped up every set I could get my hands on for various builds, and yes I am certain about this.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...