Model Cars Magazine Forum

Austin Mini V-Tec rear engine (update 10 Oct)

geetee66

I totally ruined my dinner this evening. Popped some grub in the oven, nipped upstairs for a pee and thought "!the epoxy must be set on the glass n arch flares by now. " and I made a detour into my model room...

So I carefully picked off the tape and checked it over.

Then I thought it'd be a quick job to apply some Dzuz fasteners to the bonnet/hood.

and as I had some glue out, I popped the grille on and lights. As I was blacking the chrome, I stripped the chrome with oven cleaner. This removed the chrome but the shiny base was still on the parts. So I cut discs of masking tape and covered the headlight reflectors . Now the molotow pen has a beautifully smooth surface to sit on.

I made some acetate rear side windows, but I made hole in the wrong place and I have to do them again. I'll also make a pair of vinyl die cut number plates, as this racing version doesn't have any on the decal sheet.

Around about now, I could smell my dinner. Cremated! 

I did the roof months ago, but forgot to photo it until now.

I think I also forgot to mention the louvres I put on the trunk lid, to help cool things down. They're resin 3D waterslide decals from Archer fine transfers. They do rows of rivets, weld seams and more. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got the wheels on and the body in place. I liked the way the body attaches to the floorpan. It was easy to pop it on and off, when checking the fit of the cage.

I made the licence plates with die cut letters, individually applied. The rear side windows were replaced with acetate and air holes drilled. 

Just got to add some door mirrors and it's ready for its glamour shoot.

Thanks for all the nice comments during this build. It's probably been my longest project, so far. But half of that delay was work and life getting in the way. 

I was considering a stock build next, but somehow I doubt it!

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

Edited by geetee66