Model Cars Magazine Forum

Broken Starter?

Has anybody ever broken the nylon plunger in the starter solenoid before?

Had the one on the Crown replacement starter in my '98 Cherokee do that yesterday or today. I held on to the OE starter so Dad and I were able to swap the plungers to make a working starter but it seemed like a pretty odd thing to break. Here's a couple pics

The OE one that's been cleaned up for reuse in the new starter

HPIM4716.jpg

and here's the broken one.

HPIM4715.jpg

I'm thinking a questionable idea, poorly executed on the aftermarket. Believe it or not, you can't buy just a solenoid around here, all the parts houses carry are whole starters in either new or reman........

It started to go away when I gassed up yeasterday and was probably lucky to get home with it. We held onto the factory starter ans was able to part it out for this little project. Unfortunetly......the ###### thing broke in time to keep me from going to a RC Crawler comp!

I'm thinking a questionable idea, poorly executed on the aftermarket. Believe it or not, you can't buy just a solenoid around here, all the parts houses carry are whole starters in either new or reman........

It started to go away when I gassed up yeasterday and was probably lucky to get home with it. We held onto the factory starter ans was able to part it out for this little project. Unfortunetly......the ###### thing broke in time to keep me from going to a RC Crawler comp!

Of course they never break at a convenient time.

Seems that way, atleast when I have had starting issues, it just flat quits at home! When the solenoid on the OE starter started to quit, I'd go at it with a ball peen hammer.......kinda left a large number of hammer marks in the top of the solenoid casing :lol:

Maybe I need to lay off the forearm exercises at the gym :huh:

;) Joe, YEARS ago I tried to fix a starter on a slant six Dart(68) and found out I had to pretnear rebuild the WHOLE starter just to fix the Bendex gear! Taught me a good lesson, just buy a whole NEW one! :D

Actually, the one that broke was a new one from an aftermarket company, we had to use a part form the factory starter to get the truck back on the road!

I've about had the whole course regading replacement parts over the years...

Best strategy as far as I'm concerned is to avoid (like the plague) the parts sold a the chain stores like Pep Boys and Wal Mart. Pay a couple of bucks extra to go to at least a local jobber where real mechanics buy their parts. The components my still be Chinese junk but they should be BETTER Chinese junk!

n the lesser parts tere are lesser quality plastic and nylon components used almost universally... I had a 'three time loser' starer on a TBird I had a few yeas back, and a veteran parts guy explained it to me... A further problem is chunking of metal internal components inside items like starters, etc.

Good luck!

Edited by rickr442

Not sure where the Crown parts are made, I'll have to check the box today, the OE starter was built by Mitsubishi America here in the states.

The reason I went with the starter sourced from where I did was that it was a new part, immeadiately available, and cost less that $200 (new Mopar is nearly $300 with my Jeep Club discount!) Normally I prefer factory parts where ever possible depending on both availablity and pocket depth at the time.

I did have problems with Remans my Lebaron (alternator started squeeling within a month or two and had one starter fall apart and the replacement for that one nearly started the car on fire!) on this truck (actually that was one of a couple total Carmax repair problem, told them that the steering box was locking up so they put a reman PS pump in it that started to fail on the way home, had to take it to a Jeep dealer to get it fixed right after 3-4 trips to the CM I bought it at!!)