Model Cars Magazine Forum

61 Biscayne

purvissp

This was my first and probably my last resin kit to build. This thing was a fight all the way. First I ran into the problem of 2 different issues of the Lindberg 61 Impala, which is the doner kit for this build. Well wouldn't you know, my luck I got the wrong issue the first time and found the problem when I started building this one. Well I bought a second donar and went back to work, fit was much better.

Using the 5 minute epoxy and super glue to get things to stick was a pain. Then when I did the body drop the chassis would not even come close to going into the body. At this point had nothing to loose so I took out the Dremmel and ground the hxxx out of the chassis and interior tub. Finally got the thing to fit up in the body.

After this build you will not here me complaining about bad styrene kits. The worst fitting, flashing AMT kit would be a joy verses this thing. At least it's done and I can put away the 3 bashed kits to build this one.

This was an attempt to replicate a car that I remember from my teen years. Back in Iowa a fellow bought this 61 409 dual quad new and another fellow bought a 62 Catalina 421 tri power. Each week these guys would run them hard at the local 1/8 mile strip. The hole shot usually determined who one. These were very impressive cars in their days.

Hope you like this one. There were a couple of times I thought this one was going to Jello and let him salvage it.

61bisc11.jpg

61bisc12.jpg

61bisc13.jpg

That looks great...........I felt the same way after my first resin build, but have since discovered that some resin kits are better than others, and as much as i prefer plastic resin is the only way sometimes if you want to do a certain car.

despite your fight it was worth it! very nice looking car!

i would however like to mention that not all resin kits are bad. i don't cast myself, but there is a distinct difference between quality and quanity. what i mean by that is some guys will squeeze 100 or more bodies from the same old mold , which does make them thick and not all together pretty. i don't know who you got that one from, but depending on the car you look for next time, i recommend going with Perry's Resin, Drag City Casting (F&F Resin) or R&R....but keep in mind each caster has their bugs, but i would have to say your best bet is one of those.

There are tons of guys casting out there, check here for links to find more !

http://www.thedpmcc.com/contactus.html

Will all the issues you describe, Steve, you really can't see them. The build looks awesome.

I'm thinking that was an MCW piece? I've not had too good luck with their resin. Won't stop me from buying more, though.

You really should give the Modelhaus a try. Their reputation for excellence is well earned. The only resin kit I've ever actually done was their Tucker.

I have quite a shopping list for Toledo for their table too, including a 61 DeSoto and a bathtub Nash...

I too have had my share of models that have fought me tooth and nail, and they too turned out like this gorgeous Biscayne-nobody knows but the builder how bad it was because the model looks perfect to everyone else :roll: :lol:

Nice work, don't let one sketchy/fussy resin model make you think they're all that way. Many fall together w/o any drama, some are better than your average plastic kit. Ask first before you buy; someone will likely have built model X before and give you some pointers. As I saw on another board, this Biscayne was an early piece for MCW and they've improved their game since this model. I always test-fit body/interior/chassis stack on every styrene and resin kit before painting so I know if I'll have to do much grinding. Doesn't fix every problem in final ass'y, but it sure helps. I'd rather know ahead of time I'll have problems than find them along the way.

• 1 year later...
Couldn't see anyting but the old red xxxxxxxxxxx's. But if Mr. Arter says it looks good it must. :mellow:

I got red X's also, right click on them and then check the properties and copy and paste the addy.

That looks really nice for a first resin build. Don't give up on resin, the next time you have trouble, post the problem here on the board, someone will help you out.