Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda RX-7 LM '81

Brendan

I'm working on a Profil 24 Mazda RX-7. First impression...kit seems to be a decent kit. I already see some fit issues with some parts (typical Profil 24). A lot of flashing on the body and some pinholes that need to be filled as seen in some of the pictures. Body shape looks correct from the photos that I have. This is the car that helped launch Mazda into prototype racing since this was the test bed for the 13B motor that later on in '91 ended up winning Le Mans over all.

Unfortunately this car didn't make it too far in the race, but its sister car did fairly well. The typical Mazda problem...having the transmission catch on fire from the tremendous heat from the motor. :rolleyes:

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Cool.

That's funny. The trans catching on fire. I think they had some other fire issues on some of there other cars as well due to the very hot running rotarys. The musta of not put enough vents in the hood. :blink::rolleyes::blink:

Whats with the big bullet hole in the hood. :rolleyes:

BOY, WHAT A SURPRISE

ROTARIES THEY SURE GAVE

LOTS TO TALK ABOUT BACK THEN.

THEY OWN GTU CLASS AND STILL

ONE OF THE BEST RACE CARS OF THE ERA.

i HAVE ONE IN MY LIST OF PROJECTS

SO i WILL B WATCHING THIS BUILD.

NICE AND CLEAN RESIN.

now HERE we go Brendan, This is what I'm talkin about! ;) This is my kind of subject, will definetly watch this. Looks like a nice kit and decent parts, nice decals and hey at least it's somwhat blue! ;) It's like they were copying Porsche?! :lol:;)

How much was it and is there any resin rotary motors?

You know theres a hole in the hood? :lol::P

Edited by Nick F40

Cal,

The bullet holes in the car are the pinholes I was talking about. I always circle imperfections on the body right off the bat so I know what areas to touch up on if I have to leave it for a period of time.

3men2s,

The resin wasn't really that clean. This is about after an hour and a half of clean up work already done to the body. This is pretty typical of Profil 24. They have a lot of flashing, but it's easy to remove.

I'm hoping to get some primer on some of the smaller parts in the next couple of days. I'm looking at maybe replacing the rims since I don't like the look of the 3-piece set up that they have.

Got a little work done. Majority of the parts are painted. Not many parts for this kit. I'm going to have to fabricate a roll bar for it since the resin one is incorrect.

Interior parts

IMG_1309.jpg

Exhaust and oil catch painted in Alclad

IMG_1311.jpg

Center section of three piece rims painted with Alclad (rims could have been casted better)

IMG_1312.jpg

You can see the pinholes on the chassis. They didn't show up till after I put down the black paint. So now I have to fill them in and repaint.

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

Filled in some holes on the body, but there still are some smaller pinholes that I need to fill in.

IMG_1316.jpg

looks like both an interesting subject and an interesting build Brendan...

that car gives new meaning to the term "whale tail"!!!

I have the Aoshima RX-7 from the Daytona 24 to build...

I know its an old motorized kit, but it will be a curbside and the body looks accurate.

looks like both an interesting subject and an interesting build Brendan...

that car gives new meaning to the term "whale tail"!!!

I have the Aoshima RX-7 from the Daytona 24 to build...

I know its an old motorized kit, but it will be a curbside and the body looks accurate.

I know B) that's what I said, did they copy Porsche? ;)

can't wait to see that James

Brendan-How much was it and is there any resin rotary motors?

It's really coming along nicely and nice work on the wheels! :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

I know :lol: that's what I said, did they copy Porsche? :lol:

It's really coming along nicely and nice work on the wheels! ;)

Well if you are going to copy someone might as well copy the best. :o:blink:

I know :lol: that's what I said, did they copy Porsche? :lol:

It's really coming along nicely and nice work on the wheels! ;)

It was too much ($150). I bought for myself for a birthday present. Body is nice but everything else is ######. I'm already going to have to replace the rims since they are incorrect for the car. On top of that, the tires don't even fit. No motor. But it would be easy to make. Just make a square and stick it in and there's your rotory motor. :blink:

It's one of the few Mazdas that I actually like. I'm not a big Mazda/Ford fan.

It was too much ($150). I bought for myself for a birthday present. Body is nice but everything else is ######. I'm already going to have to replace the rims since they are incorrect for the car. On top of that, the tires don't even fit. No motor. But it would be easy to make. Just make a square and stick it in and there's your rotory motor. :angry:

It's one of the few Mazdas that I actually like. I'm not a big Mazda/Ford fan.

:angry::lol:

Not a Mazda fan? :lol: you know how tough they are? ask Chrisrollinglaugh.gif

I'm really sorry Chris :lol:

I got some stuff painted yesterday before my airbrush broke.

New roll cage fabricated.

IMG_1317.jpg

Dashboard with detail painting; gauges are decals.

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Homemade seatbelt material, using cloth tape.

IMG_1321.jpg

Rear firewall and exhaust painted with different shades of Alclad.

IMG_1322.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my airbrush this past week. Got a little more work done. Found a couple of better photos of the chassis which shows it being all aluminum on the inside. So I ended up repainting the chassis. Can't do much more on the interior until I get the body on since you have to attach the firewall after the body is on. A really big pain. One thing that really irks me is that on the chassis they show a partial motor and a transmission, but the tranmission is shown as an automatic instead of a stick. (See picture.) Still waiting on some blue for the car. I'm hoping to get it within the next couple of weeks.

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Ohhh wow ;)

simple much? :rolleyes:

Typical Profil 24. Hardly any detail on the interior. They have a tendency to concentrate more on the body, which is okay but sometimes I like a little more interior detail. Most of the Mazdas usually didn't have too much stuff on the inside so they could keep their car light.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally got the body painted. Now I just need to paint the gold. It's a really, really dark navy blue. Couldn't find any paint that would come close so I ended up mixing my own. I used Tamiya's TS-14 Black and Tamiya's TS-15 Blue in a 2:7 ratio of black to blue. It's a little bit flat so after I get the gold laid down, I'll lay down several coats of gloss.

Here's some pictures.

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

The picture underneath is one of the few reference photos that I have of the actual colors.

IMG_1346.jpg

Got the taping lines marked down so I can figure out where the gold paint goes. Spent a couple of hours just on this. Not my favorite thing to do. One side of the car is a little off from the other side. They're not a mirror image of each other. One side is off by a .5 mm to 1 mm. I've run into this problem on other Profil 24 kits. Not an issue unless laying down striping. Here's the pictures of the body with the tape lines.

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Well, it's gold! Little brighter than I would like. But I think it will tone down a little after I put a couple of coats of clear. Need to do a little bit of sanding; not much. Here's some pictures of the car.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Here's what it looks like with tires and rims on.

IMG_1356.jpg