Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to convert a 2-door model to a 4-door?

I'm sure somebody's already done a thread about this before, but I was wondering, how can I convert a 2-door car model kit into a 4-door? The specific vehicle I'm looking to do is the MPC 1972 Pontiac GTO as a LeMans sedan, but I'll take any general advice I can get. If anybody knows of anybody that does a LeMans sedan resin kit, I'll gladly take that info as well.

2 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

I'm sure somebody's already done a thread about this before, but I was wondering, how can I convert a 2-door car model kit into a 4-door? The specific vehicle I'm looking to do is the MPC 1972 Pontiac GTO as a LeMans sedan, but I'll take any general advice I can get. If anybody knows of anybody that does a LeMans sedan resin kit, I'll gladly take that info as well.

That would be a rough one, as the '72 Lemans 4-doors are 4 inches longer overall than the 2-doors. The entire roof and C-pillars are different, and so is the grille/bumper area IIRC. Overall you'll be scratchbuilding somewhere around 1/3 of the car. Not really a project for a beginner, either. 

I have to agree with the others. Something like that is not for the faint of heart and it's something I have yet to try. The hardest thing would be stretching the body. You'd have to stretch it somewhere behind the doors to the leading edge of the wheelwells and that may require two kits if you want to keep the contours the same. As Snake said, the roof is a bit different but they share roof crowns. You'd have to rework the C pillars and probably have to 'stretch' it a bit too for four door proportions.

I have a project in mind similar to yours.........it's just not high on my priority list at the moment. It's this car................

autowp.ru_pontiac_lemans_4-door_hardtop_2.jpg.dbec99b8535ca35a56a95c553ba18d1f.jpg

I'd go a bit further though.........I'm quite certain I've seen these with the 'Endura' nose and hidden headlights but without the GTO badging. A very rare special order option for sure, but one that would turn heads. That's way down the road though if ever I get the ambition to work on it.

Just to tweak the purists I'd even slap on some redlines with Pontiac rally wheels and of course painted in my favorite color for '69------Verdoro Green. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

1 hour ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

OK, I may reconsider this one, then. Not that I have anything against the '72 GTO, but I was looking for something a bit more interesting to do with that MPC kit.

I'd think that just getting a decent looking model out of that old turd would be interesting and challenging enough. B)