Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldsmobile OW43

landman

18 minutes ago, RAT-T said:

PAT, WHAT WERE THESE USED IN?

I think the W43 was intended to compete with Ford's SOHC 427 and as far as I know the Twin cam one was purely experimental. there are several articles on the web about them.

2 hours ago, landman said:

Now I'd like to try the OW-43. I have seral BBC in the junkpile but no Olds 455. Would the BBC make a decent base?

Why would you start with a BBC when the engine is based on a 455 Olds engine? There at least two available in kits which are both well done and easily sourced?

Edited by Casey

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why would you start with a BBC when the engine is based on a 455 Olds engine? There at least two available in kits which are both well done and easily sourced?

Because I was only aware of the '66 W30 400. What are they? And I don't want to buy a kit just for the engine.

54 minutes ago, landman said:

Because I was only aware of the '66 W30 400. What are they? And I don't want to buy a kit just for the engine.

Yeah. Some think everyone can afford to buy kits as parts donors. The Revell 72 Olds has a nice big block, as does AMTs 69 Olds. I don't think the BB Chevy is a good base. Almost everything is different about the engines, tho I guess if you are scratching heads, intake, valve covers, etc you could use it. Oil filter and starter are on opposite sides from a Chevy.

Edited by Classicgas

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Yeah. Some think everyone can afford to buy kits as parts donors. The Revell 72 Olds has a nice big block, as does AMTs 69 Olds. I don't think the BB Chevy is a good base. Almost everything is different about the engines, tho I guess if you are scratching heads, intake, valve covers, etc you could use it. Oil filter and starter are on opposite sides from a Chevy.

Thanks Lee. that is what I wanted to know. Now I'll have to wait until I find an Olds. Of course there is the one by  B-N-L.

• 10 months later...