Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aftermarket Hardtop for Revells Promodeller '58 Corvette?

I don't know how eBay works over there or if you're able to get our site in the states, but I've seen those from time to time-----just the hardtop. Also, I wouldn't limit yourself to just the '59, you might want to keep an eye out for the AMT '62, or the MPC one that was in their C1 kits. In the 1:1 all '56-'62 'Vette hardtops were the same with some very minor changes for 1961-62. With some slight tweaking it should fit the '58.

Hope this all helps!

14 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I don't know how eBay works over there or if you're able to get our site in the states, but I've seen those from time to time-----just the hardtop. Also, I wouldn't limit yourself to just the '59, you might want to keep an eye out for the AMT '62, or the MPC one that was in their C1 kits. In the 1:1 all '56-'62 'Vette hardtops were the same with some very minor changes for 1961-62. With some slight tweaking it should fit the '58.

Hope this all helps!

All these tops were the same in real life, but they're not all the same in models. For example, I have yet to find one that will fit the "new" AMT '57 Corvette. At least not without major "tweaking." I'd imagine that the one that would come closest to fitting the Revell '58 would be the one from Revell's '62 Corvette gasser, but have never tried it so can't say for sure. If I get a chance today, I might be able to try the tops from the MPC '57/'60 and AMT '62 Vettes and see how they work. 

Yeah, that AMT (new tool) '57 was tricky for me to use when I was building my Monogram '57 years ago. I chose the windshield frame off of that because to my eyes it has the most accurate shape of all the C1's modeled. I did have to 'stretch' it though because of the different scales.

It was a bit of a hassle though to get Monograms hardtop to fit. I'd suggest that one, but it's 1/24 scale and the shape is totally wrong to boot. I had to do a LOT of cutting and sectioning to get it to look right on the body.

It might have been easier to start with AMT's '57 to begin with, but I never liked how the front fenders looked especially in the cove area. They look too 'tall' to me as if the front fender wheel wells are too high or something. :huh:

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'd imagine that the one that would come closest to fitting the Revell '58 would be the one from Revell's '62 Corvette gasser, but have never tried it so can't say for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, the hardtop in that kit is pretty much the same as the one in the '59. I can tell from how it looks in a side profile. Yeah, you'd have to test fit it out because in the 1:1 world, the rear window (and quarter windows) were just a wee bit shorter due to the flatter rear deck of that 'ducktail' styling. Then you also had the little 'bump' in the trailing edge of the hardtop rear window frame to clear the rear deck ridge (think Harlow Curtice SR2 with the trunk fin).

Ain't kitbashing fun?? :P 

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

If I'm not mistaken, the hardtop in that kit is pretty much the same as the one in the '59. I can tell from how it looks in a side profile. Yeah, you'd have to test fit it out because in the 1:1 world, the rear window (and quarter windows) were just a wee bit shorter due to the flatter rear deck of that 'ducktail' styling. Then you also had the little 'bump' in the trailing edge of the hardtop rear window frame to clear the rear deck ridge (think Harlow Curtice SR2 with the trunk fin).

Ain't kitbashing fun?? :P 

Oh you're right--the rear deck cross-section is completely different between the '56-60 and the '61-'62. DOH! I knew that! :angry:

Hey, wait--didn't YOU suggest the top from the AMT '62? (The glass for that top fits like ass anyway.) :wacko:

So we might be down to the top on the MPC '57/'60 kit. I'll try to take a look at that combination this afternoon. 

2 hours ago, dimaxion said:

OK , I have a silly question about the '59 Corvette Pro Modeler release . Will the Pro Modeler '58 Chrome fit this kit ? Long story . Thanx ..  

As the bodyshell is the same in both kits, I really can't see why they wouldn't

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Hey, wait--didn't YOU suggest the top from the AMT '62? (The glass for that top fits like ass anyway.) :wacko:

Yeah, but my idea was to tweak things a bit. You know me.......I’d solder up an entire new frame and just use the top portion of the hardtop. To my eyes, none of the hardtops out there look right to me. Especially the rear most part of the frame that holds the rear window. 

THE only hardtop that ever looked correct to me is Danbury Mint’s 1/12 ‘57 Corvette hardtops and of course those are too big! ??

21 hours ago, GeeBee said:

As the bodyshell is the same in both kits, I really can't see why they wouldn't

Thank you . I did match these . I have one of these without any Chrome . This buyer's misfortune . An unfortunate accident involving leaving the decals , Stock Tires wheels and all the chrome behind . The sad saga gets way worse from there .  Now I can look with confidence for the replacement parts .. Thanx .