Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheel Back I.D. Help, Please

I am 99% sure this wheel back came from one of the Revell "California Wheels" or similar kits which included larger diameter wheels and lo-pro tires, but I can't determine which kit. I have ruled out the Revell '66 El Camino, '66 Chevelle Wagon, '67 Chevelle SS, and '64/'65 Chevy Pickup kits, as they include chrome plated, spoked wheel backs. I am pretty sure these were never chrome plated either, but can't guarantee that. The inner face (faces towards the center of the vehicle, where the brake drum/disc touches it) has a very short stub, and was not trimmed down by me.

Most of the wheel sets found in these kits have a slightly smaller diameter front wheel and tire, and this particular wheel back fits the slightly smaller Goodyear Eagle SC tires (with the sidewalls wiped clean) many of those kits included.

IMG_20190117_203055.thumb.jpg.ab47a40738b7a1cb7dc2f35ec5216150.jpg

IMG_20190117_203034.thumb.jpg.626964fecc127c02f4129b97353b9ae6.jpg

Edited by Casey

Is that the '64 Chevy Fleetside pickup wheel back? IIRC, the number of kits they put those types of wheels in was not a lot and the first two that come to mind are the ones you already mentioned. The only other one that comes to mind is the 67 Chevelle.

Edited by mikemodeler

If it is a Revell inner wheel, it's a very unusual design. It's not clear how it would have mounted to the axle. There must be another piece that had a snap hole (not very likely) or held a metal axle pin and glued to the back of this part. And, most of the California Wheels kits were set up so you could see the disc brakes which meant the inner wheel wasn't solid. The California Wheels '57 Chevy Bel Air sedan came with a set of large diameter steelies, so that one might be a possibility but I think it used a different tire. The '94 Impala SS lowrider used the rubber I think you are referring to,  but I'm 99% sure the inner wheels tooled for it had a standard snap-through axle boss that this piece doesn't have. 

10 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

If it is a Revell inner wheel, it's a very unusual design. It's not clear how it would have mounted to the axle. There must be another piece that had a snap hole (not very likely) or held a metal axle pin and glued to the back of this part.

Agreed. I think some kits in the series used a decal in place of a plastic brake rotor and caliper, so possibly from one of those kits...? I think I may have gotten these in a trade from a member here, so entirely possible I never purchased the kit in question first hand, nor ever looked over the full contents myself.

10 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

The California Wheels '57 Chevy Bel Air sedan came with a set of large diameter steelies, so that one might be a possibility but I think it used a different tire. The '94 Impala SS lowrider used the rubber I think you are referring to,  but I'm 99% sure the inner wheels tooled for it had a standard snap-through axle boss that this piece doesn't have. 

I'm 99% sure the Revell '57 Chevy Sedan and '56 Del Ray CA Wheels kits used tires with more squared off shoulders, different from those include in the earlier CA Wheels series kits.

The search goes on.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Agreed. I think some kits in the series used a decal in place of a plastic brake rotor and caliper, so possibly from one of those kits...? I think I may have gotten these in a trade from a member here, so entirely possible I never purchased the kit in question first hand, nor ever looked over the full contents myself.

I'm 99% sure the Revell '57 Chevy Sedan and '56 Del Ray CA Wheels kits used tires with more squared off shoulders, different from those include in the earlier CA Wheels series kits.

The search goes on.

Gave my California Wheels '57 Bel Air sedan a quick look. The large-diameter wheels use the one-piece design with ribs that slip inside the hollow tire, so this for sure isn't from that kit or the California Wheels '56 Del Ray.

The design makes me think it's not very likely it's a Revell part. So who are other suspects? Didn't Jada make a handful of plastic kits? Can't remember if they were DUB City or something else like Big Time Muscle. Don't have any of those, but that might be a place to look. The AMT 'big-wheel" kits from the RC2 days that were in series like Resto Rods might be a place to look too. Not sure how many of those were molded in white though.

53 minutes ago, Don Sikora II said:

Not sure how many of those were molded in white though.

Yeah, that's one reason I'm holding on to the idea of it being a Revell part, plus, it fits the tire I mentioned above perfectly, with the 'seated' depth spot on. The outer diameter of the wheel lip also has the slightly uneven mold seam that other similar Revell large diameter wheels have, too. I also *think* I remember having a full set of four of these at one time, but only have the lone piece remaining.

It seems Revell was slowly gravitating toward the one-piece or paddle style wheels to fit into a stretch-to-fit tire in more recent years, so I think this might've been from one of the earlier CA Wheels kits. I've also ruled out both the '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible, '62 Impala SS and '65 Chevelle Z-16, kits, but I'm going to keep looking until, hopefully, I see a match.

The Revell '65 and '64 Chevy Pickups and '69 Shelby GT-500 kits, too, but no match on those either.

Looking at the outer side of the wheel back (where it would mate against the outer wheel half), it looks like it may have been sanded flat, as the center disc area appears to have a flat seen, but the innermost face appears untouched.

• 5 weeks later...

Found the wheel back by chance today. It's in the Revell 1972 Cutlass Supreme custom (85-4275). Appears your piece is for the front of the car, part #75. The part has a thin rib on the side that locates against the outer wheel, so the sanding on your part probably removed that rib. Very surprised it's a Revell piece!

IMG_1621.JPG

Edited by Don Sikora II