Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help on '87 - '88 Ford engines

Goodwrench3

Hi all:

I've built mainly '80's Chevy and Buicks up to now.

Can someone give me a link to any 1:1 photos of these '87 - '88 Ford NASCAR engines  ?   I'm looking for paint colors.

I know the blocks in the early '80's were rarely painted -- just bare cast iron.  I'm guessing the heads by '87 were aluminum.   And the part that I've drawn a box around in the photo ?  I'm guessing that's the dry sump pan ?   Color  ?

Any actual photos would be appreciated !

Thanks

engine_cropped.jpg

4 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I know the blocks in the early '80's were rarely painted -- just bare cast iron.  I'm guessing the heads by '87 were aluminum.   And the part that I've drawn a box around in the photo ?  I'm guessing that's the dry sump pan ?   Color  ?

Yes, definitely a dry sump. Could be bare aluminum or painted black. I've seen both.

17 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Hi all:

I've built mainly '80's Chevy and Buicks up to now.

Can someone give me a link to any 1:1 photos of these '87 - '88 Ford NASCAR engines  ?   I'm looking for paint colors.

Any actual photos would be appreciated !

Thanks

engine_cropped.jpg

The boxed part is a regular oil pan with two sumps found on many of the more modern Fords like the Fox body Mustangs, the rear sump holds the oil and the front sump is to make room for the oil pump as it's directly under and driven by the distributor.
But most NASCAR cars has a dry sump system wich is a shallow pan with several hoses that goes out of it, and a separate belt driven several segment oil pump to scavenge the oil out of the pan and into a separate tank and pump the oil back into the engine.
The racers in NASCAR started to experiment with dry sump systems in 1968-69 as you can mount the engine lower in the chassis and you don't have any problems with oil pressure as the engine allways gets oil...as long as the drive belt is on.

Here is a system used on many race cars.

Dry-Sump-Oil-System.jpg

Edited by Force

On the Randy Ayers NASCAR forum, I did learn that NASCAR required steel dry sump pans.  This was news to me -- I had [incorrectly] assumed they may be aluminum.

Apparently that's why most were either bare stainless steel or painted black  --  which matches my favorite Dale picture (attached).  The ones that are a gold color -- I'm not sure about .. anodized steel ?  The other pic attached is of an engine from the #27 1981 Valvoline Buick (note the gold dry sump pan).

83547254-vi.jpg

image005_zpsstmrmjju.jpg