Model Cars Magazine Forum

-Monogram 1971 'Cuda Front Valance-

I couldn't find anything (within a reasonable time frame) about correcting-modifying the front fascia of the old Monogram 1971 Hemi'Cuda ...

I seem to recall that a few members built that (now ancient) kit , and in the process , performed some surgery to correct the lower-front-valance-to-front-fenders assembly (e.g. , modifying the assembly to accurately represent how the real car appears / is assembled) .

Please , point me in the right direction or provide a link to an archived On The Work Bench tutorial .

Thanks .

Hi John,

did this correction on my Cuda a long time ago...

On the first pic you can see that I cutted the front valance into three pieces. The side pieces I simply glued to the fenders.

After that I puttied and sanded these areas into shape. The center of the front valance is still one part with the grille.

No other modifications were necessary.

DSC_0003.JPG.42e97aff35a9b93fec6f6bf9347f8bc3.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG.d9f7759040f8fdd6873c8453234e7290.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG.438900ba4de0dcdd7caa2573f147df70.JPG

Hope that helps.

Rico

Edited by camaro69

John, I have committed anything to plastic but I've been looking at it for a few years and here's what I was thinking

- headlamps look too far apart

- fog lamp brackets are too thick and fog lamps protrude too far forward

- was think of doing resin copies of Park lamps and recasting them in clear

and Rico I like what you've done with that front valance

The look of the headlights can be improved a lot by simply putting in bigger lights. 

I made the openings larger with a round file and made new surrounds with thin sheet plastic. Then you just need the right size headlight lenses and reflectors . Still a bit too wide apart but much better, I think.

steve's pics 413

steve's pics 421

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Please , point me in the right direction or provide a link to an archived On The Work Bench tutorial .

Not exactly a tutorial, but here's one way to do it, on the sibling 1/24 Monogram '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, which has the same valence panel issue:

Thanks , Rico , Brandon , Steve , Snake , and Casey ! 

I think that I screwed up with the kit I'm working on --- I separated the grille from valance ; glued the valance to the fenders ; filed one side smooth ; filed other side down ; smeared a dab of Tamiya putty over the remaining seams .

The problem with my hair-brained approach ?

Now I'm going to have a devil of a time getting the radiator core support assembly secured properly !

D'oh !

Oh , well ... if worse come to worse , I have another unbuilt example in storage ---- perhaps I'll start fresh ( although , I already completed the deepening of the door lines , boot lines , Dutchman Panel depressions ( very lightly ) , and windscreen / backlight trim gaps )

Thanks again , one and all !