Model Cars Magazine Forum

In 1977, I worked at S&W Race Cars.  I was building my very own street V8 Vega. I called Motion to get parts and got Joel Rosen on the phone. I explained my build and he asked where I was calling from again. When I told him, he laughed and said that most of what I wanted was on my shelf. Proceeded to give me part numbers. Low and behold, the stuff was on my shelf. I think there were a couple of items I did order from him. He in turn ordered some race stuff from me.  Years later, I was asked to do a model for a doctor I knew. The nurses only told me it was some kinda’ Motion car. They gave me a bunch of pics to work from. 

Again, I called Joel and told him what I was doing. He didn’t think it was a car he built, but said he sold enough parts that anyone could build what he was doing. He just wasn’t certifying them. I did a write up in SAE. Caused a stir to the point he wrote in and said the car was NOT a Motion build. We also discussed him doing Diecast and if I might be interested in working with him. At the time I was a hospital admin director... there was no way, I could do that. Not enough hours in the day.

At one ancient NNL East, I picked up a 1973 Manta Ray resin. It’s slush cast but not bad. Pretty complete. The name of the guy who made it escapes me, but he knew Joel as well. If I hear the name, I will remember!  

My association with Joel has always been very positive. He was quite helpful to me early on and I respected and appreciated that. He would occasionally send me packets of stuff. I still have my Vega catalog insert and various articles. Class act in my book!

I’ve always wanted to do a 454 Motion Vega. When I worked at The Franklin Mint, I asked one of the guys in the design studio if he would do graphics for me. I paid to have the sheet done and have both black and white “Motion Super Vega” rub downs. I wasn’t sure of the size so my friend made me various reductions.

I recall seeing my first Motion Nova when I went to visit family in NY. The thunder of that car gave me goosebumps! Years later, at a Musclecar meet at Englishtown, I saw a 427 Motion Nova close up. I have what I need to finally build that model! 

As a kid, I ordered my first Motion Chevelle. It would have been #13. However, at 16, I was well lacking the coin to do so! I did build a model for SAE.

Hope you enjoyed my memories...

Pics to follow...

IMG_4969.jpg.8c643ac169ac59c648e678de03314de5.jpg

IMG_4970.JPG.30e2f62b4be12764f7ddcacac3f0f674.JPG

IMG_5923.jpg.c147f06ec8755729d1e67e98ecc751f3.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg.a7eb4b9c1e0792912434fa4fe4cf5fd8.jpg

5c69dacb329a2_MyVega.jpg.730c6ea6d013630429f66acf88af98ac.jpg

5c69daf67d369_MotionInvoicecopy.jpg.c1bea81436101a5eb23c4e688ca18dee.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg.ae90ab1dba213a35c2202508cb788387.jpg

Edited by George Bojaciuk

i remember having an old black and white balwin/motion catalog(about 6 pages) listing the turnkey cars they sold, i think that was around '71 or '72 and if i remember correctly, it listed the parts u could buy from them. I wore the pages out pretty quick!and i had a v8 vega drag car