Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint/Chrome Question

I have a one-piece grill and front bumper that I would like to paint just the bumper. I need to strip the plating from the bumper (or do I?) and would like suggestions/recommendations as to the best method to do this without damaging the plating on the grill. My thought is to suspend the part, somehow, in a container of bleach so that only the bumper is in the liquid. I welcome all suggestions.

I wouldn't even bother stripping it, just prime it and paint it (I assume you'll be masking off the grille). Or, you might take the opportunity to knock off the molding lines if any with some fine sandpaper. Just give the rest of the bumper a light sanding, too. Or maybe rough it up just a skosh with fine steel wool or a fine Scotchbrite pad. 

I paint chrome all the time, no problem. 

I was going to suggest you use a #11 blade and scrape the chrome of the part you want to paint. As Snake pointed out this would be the perfect time to remove any imperfections on the bumper and maybe even remove the bolt heads so the bumper is smooth. If you're building a drag type model you could make the bumper represent a Fiber Glass one. 

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I wouldn't even bother stripping it, just prime it and paint it (I assume you'll be masking off the grille). Or, you might take the opportunity to knock off the molding lines if any with some fine sandpaper. Just give the rest of the bumper a light sanding, too. Or maybe rough it up just a skosh with fine steel wool or a fine Scotchbrite pad. 

I paint chrome all the time, no problem. 

I second this opinion.

Steve

If you're interested and the deal isn't sealed already so to speak. I stripped the chrome mesh on a 1/25th scale mustang grill ( they were matt black in real) by hand brushing some gel drano onto it. Let it sit for a few minutes and the chrome melted away, then rinsed it with plain water. Done deal and after painting i think the detail is all the better because you don't have the extra layer of chrome under  the paint.. The bumper would be easy to brush gel drano onto, it's quite controllable just try it on a scrap piece first.

Edited by Dave G.