Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gene Snow Challenger

sflam123

A few weeks ago, I posted requesting help with some decals shattering.  Thanks once again for all the responses and suggestions, and especially THANK YOU to Slixx as they were gracious enough to send me additional sheets which, coupled with the suggestions I received allowed me to finish the model.  I build for fun, not competition and although I try to make my models believable, I know they are not  historically accurate.  This was a kit I picked up at a garage sale, and was in fair shape.  It was JoHan kit and was marketed as the Eugene White Ram-Rod funny car.  The paint on the body is Testor's Flame Red.  Thanks all for looking!!

fullsizeoutput_2e44.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e42.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e47.jpeg

Edited by sflam123
Additional info

13 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Awesome work ...................... Johan sure had a lack of detail on the rear rims no lug nuts  but that's all fixable !

Thank you for the kind words!

Honestly, the tooling on many of the models from the late 60's/ early 70's lacked detail.  Many of these funny car kits were just slightly modified passenger car releases.  JoHan at least had "relatively" accurate chassis and engines in their funny car kits.  It seemed that during that time, there was no middle ground.  You had Revell, who molded rocker arms in the heads of some kits which were cemented to the engine block and never seen, and then you had kits like this where there are no lugs molded on the wheels.  The disparity is part of why I keep my eyes open for these old kits.  Keeps it interesting.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:24 AM, gtx6970 said:

Nice,

I had the same sheet that shattered when pulling them from the water .I didn't have another decal sheet. SO,,,,,, I stripped the body and did the Ramchargers car instead

Thank you for the kind word!

I can't say enough good words about Slixx.  I contacted them after I had the issue with the original sheet.  They called me back promptly and apologized for my issue.  They had a couple of suggestions on how to avoid the issue in the future and said they would replace the problem sheet.  Two days later I had the replacement.

Converting your build to the Ramchargers Challenger was a great way to make lemonade out of lemons!  Good job!!

On 5/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, iBorg said:

What were Slixx's suggestions?

Slixx offered two suggestions:

1.  Use the hottest water I could get out of the tap.Wait until the decal is completely wet and let rest for at least a minute or two on a paper towel.

2.  Coat the decal before using with a MicroScale product they sell called Liquid Decal Film.  

In the conversation I had with them, I asked them about spraying the decal with Testor's Decal Bonder.  Naturally, they said they thought the MicroScale product they recommended would do better.  Now, I tried both, the MicroScale product on one sheet and Testor's Decal Bonder on another.  IMO they performed equally well.  

I cannot say enough good things about the people at Slixx.  They were very helpful and offered to send new sheets and the MicroScale product free of charge.  I offered to pay for shipping (IMO it was only fair!) and/or the MicroScale product and they would have none of it.