Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help needed on my old friend the AMT Mirrors

Hello all. I have a bunch of semi trucks in various stages of completion. So I could use suggestions on how to assemble my old friend...the AMT mirrors. Specifically for the White series cabs (Autocar, Diamond Reo, Road Boss, Western Star). Obviously the mirrors in the K-123 and the IH 4300 are easier to deal with but these AMT multi piece ones drive me nuts. What is the best glue to use for them? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on them, bent a nice paper clip to the right shape and glued the mirror on with Super Glue. The wire from the paper clip is better to scale anyway. I drilled holes in the cab to put the wire into. That way it holds and I am not fighting it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s what I do. I throw all the mirror parts in bleach, Super Clean, etc. and dechrome them. Then, after washed and dried, clean up all mold lines, spruce attachment points, etc.. Then take the mounts and drill holes for two tiny pins. These will match up to holes you will drill in the doors. This will make them easier to mount and make the attachment points stronger. Assemble the complete mirrors, fill any gaps that shouldn’t be there with a dab of putty, sand smooth and then carefully wash them. Then just spray the mirror assemblies with Molotow chrome.