Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush "Spitting"

Over time i have been fortunate enough to have amassed three guns in my airbrush arsenal a Grex, Iwata and a Paasche. Each is assigned to various task. The Paasche, is the elder of the trio, and has been designated my  clear-coat gun. It is my go-to gun when I opt to use clear-coats like Future. Of resent the gun has been acting erratic. Instead of giving me a a clean continues even flow It will spray fine then suddenly it will  intermittently  start "spitting" media. I`ve completely torn it down and thoroughly cleaned everything needle, nozzles etc. twice and it still continues to intermittently spit media. Just to make sure it was not  the media that was causing the "spitting" I ran clean tap water through the Paasche and got the same result, so it has to be the gun.

Looking for some advise to what may be causing the veteran of the team to act in this manner.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

1 hour ago, 935k3 said:

which Paasche is it? If it's dual action it the packing seal the needle goes through. If it's the H single action the seal in the fluid tip.They are both adjustable by a straight screw driver

It`s a  Paasche Model VL Double Action

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Thanks for the info.

of course this leads to to ask the question..is there an alternative to cleaning the gun with lacquer cleaner/thinner after using lacquer automotive paints to avoided this from happening again...or do I just stock up on seals with the expectation of  seal change outs  in the future. And, consider seal replacement as part of the cost of doing business.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Another thought, depending on how old your brush is, and how much use it has seen, I'd suggest maybe replacing the tip, part number 3, in the needle size you use. If your brush has ever taken a nose dive the tip may have been affected. I'd also check to be sure that the needle is not bent.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/changeme/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/VL-Manual-4L.pdf

I've got the same thing going on with my H&S Evo 2n1. I swapped out my needle/nozzle for the the smaller size that I dont use and the spitting stopped. I was also getting backwash into the colour cup causing the media to erupt out of the cup. The new needle/nozzle stopped the backwash too. I'd say its the seal on the back of your nozzle housing is letting air back into the brush. Swap out the seals. 

Edited by Jhedir6

Thanks for all the input. I will will order seals and a new needle. By the way are there "Teflon"replacements seals available to help fight against the  lacquer thinner/paints  deteriorating  them. if so, do you have a lead on where I can acquire them.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

On 5/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, Jhedir6 said:

I swapped out my needle/nozzle for the the smaller size that I dont use and the spitting stopped.

I pulled the needel and laid it on the countertop of work bench. As I slowly round it across the top I noticed a slight wobble. Using a hammer I gave the needle several every so "LIGHT" taps in the areas that appeared to be high spots; as I rolled the needle across the countertop. The wobble disappeared. I reinserted needle and the spitting stopped. :D

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Pretty much the Paasche VL has always had Teflon seals. The only seals are the ones in the air valve and the one that is inside to seal the needle. I have a VL that I have owned for at least 30 years and I did replace that inner seal around the needle once, I find that the spitting is usually caused by the tip being partly clogged. Acrylic paints can easily clog the airbrush and if allowed to dry even a little, lacquer thinner may not clear it. If I have that happen, I drop the tip in a jar of Super Clean for a few hours, that will break up the acrylic paints.

Sounds like your problem was with a wonky needle, glad you got it cleared up.