Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freight liner COE questions

I have recently purchased the AMT reissue of the White Freight liner T-620 kit, haven't built one of these since i was a kid.  I have a couple of questions, I remember that the steer axle was to wide, and the lower steps on the side of the cab were a PITA to assemble, looked like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and rested against the steer tire.   1) I fully intend to narrow the front axle, but need to know how much on each side should be removed. And 2) I know it was a while ago, but I remember seeing some one offered a resin set of the more modern step, but I cant find it any where. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

As long as you are listing the kits short comings, don't forget that the headlights are way too high in the body and need to be brought down. The cab is a pain in the rear to assemble, and the cab catches on the bumper when you tilt it. Other than that it is a basic poor quality old AMT kit. I have several and they can be built into a nice truck, just needs a little extra attention.

The front axel on these kits are actually not too wide , it’s the engineering of the drums and backing plates that are the problem, and require that you thin out the components ( including the wheels from the spindle side ) . Then they will fit under the cab. But prototypically they did stick out slightly on the the standard cab.

The Freightliner is number 2 on my list of trucks I am building. I have been doing some research before I start. Best solution for the cab looks to be assemble, sand, fill the seams and use the archer rivets. Going to do as Brian says and leave the drums out and do some thinning of other items. Alot of trial fitting also.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Oldmopars said:

. Other than that it is a basic poor quality old AMT kit. I have several and they can be built into a nice truck, just needs a little extra attention.

Too much attention for me. Are there any 1/25  resin casters  interested in doing a correct late 60's WF?  1/87 guys had it for years. 

IMG_5431 (1).JPG

IMG_5429 (9).JPG