Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for summer cleaning

School is out and plan on making my summer count this year. The list of projects is long, but it includes finishing some model projects as well. It will be the first time I got some serious bench time in a couple years!

First up -clean out the sheds and the garage and sell there stuff I accumulated but don't use.

Here is shed #1 - in an after shot. I was a rat play pen. Gross! The Sprite is on hold for a couple years.

IMG_1742-vi.jpg

This is the stuff I am selling - My grandfathers word working tools and ..a bench top metal lathe.  700.00. Any So. Cal takers?

IMG_1743-vi.jpg

Next up the garage. My bench is way in the back. 

IMG_1744-vi.jpg

IMG_1745-vi.jpg

I found the diecasts in a box. The rats had made a nest of it. So I unwrapped them so they could find another home. I also found a box of old trophies that the rats had invaded too. I saved what I could. Luckily a couple trophies that really mean a lot to me were spared.  - My first BMX trophy from 1976 was one. We were on vacation in Lake Tahoe. It was a very local track. that raced every week. The first week, I got second or third. I found out they only gave only first place trophies. I thought about that all week. It paid off.

It gets a bit over 100 in the summer here. They were in a metal shed before I moved them into the garage. I've not had any problem with plastic warping. The kit boxes that are facing the west sun have faded from the times the garage door is left open. Oh- And the rats got to a few of them in the shed.

Before that I had a termite attack when they were in the garage of another house. The little buggers went through the back of a cabinet and ate part of the boxes and decals. That was a bummer because I spent a good amount on the Hasegawa circuit board graphics Mercedes race car - of course they ate those decals. Figgers.

Then there is the usual tire burn. I don't know if the heat makes that worse.

6 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Before that I had a termite attack when they were in the garage of another house. The little buggers went through the back of a cabinet and ate part of the boxes and decals. That was a bummer because I spent a good amount on the Hasegawa circuit board graphics Mercedes race car - of course they ate those decals. Figgers.

That was the end of my teen age model collection.  I had it carefully stored in a closet in my parent's house.  Termites had gotten into the exterior wall and had chewed boxes, all the paper and such. And of course termite goo on everything.   My father had cleaned it all out and tossed nearly everything before telling me!