Model Cars Magazine Forum

Profil 24 Kits

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Anybody here built any 1/24 scale Profil 24 kits? If so, what was your impression of the casting quality, symmetry, scale fidelity, etc.? They're kind of expensive, and before I jump I'd like some input from folks with actual first-hand experience.

Thanks.

I have built a few Profil 24 kits over the years. They have gotten better, but they still need lots of clean up and work to get the parts to fit.  They have a great service if something needs replaced. Some of the kits I did had a bunch of twisted parts. There are better ones and easier ones as well.  You can usually find them cheaper than going direct. Decals are good to work with. If you take your time and fit EVERYTHING before painting you should be fine. Which car are you looking at?

To echo what Tim said, while I haven't built one yet I do have their '57 Maserati 450S kit and yes, it does need some cleanup of the parts as you go along. For the price I don't think they're bad at all compared to the price of Model Factory Hiro's kits for instance which as you know, can be hundreds of dollars.

Here's a pic of Vince LoBosco's Maserati 450S......this model has to be seen in person to be really appreciated! Fantastic job he did on it!

024LoBoscoMaserati-vi.jpg.bb8f3d1c9e96bcdeb6d1414b81eef292.jpg

1 hour ago, Gt fan said:

I have built a few Profil 24 kits over the years. They have gotten better, but they still need lots of clean up and work to get the parts to fit.  They have a great service if something needs replaced. Some of the kits I did had a bunch of twisted parts. There are better ones and easier ones as well.  You can usually find them cheaper than going direct. Decals are good to work with. If you take your time and fit EVERYTHING before painting you should be fine. Which car are you looking at?

42 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

To echo what Tim said, while I haven't built one yet I do have their '57 Maserati 450S kit and yes, it does need some cleanup of the parts as you go along. For the price I don't think they're bad at all compared to the price of Model Factory Hiro's kits for instance which as you know, can be hundreds of dollars.

Here's a pic of Vince LoBosco's Maserati 450S......this model has to be seen in person to be really appreciated! Fantastic job he did on it!

Thanks gentlemen. That Maser is absolutely gorgeous. I need one of those.  :wub:

I just sprung for the '53 Porsche 550 LeMans coupe. Should be interesting.

I thought HRM and FPP kits were expensive until I saw Hiro stuff. Wow. Guess I still have a lot to learn about this hobby. :D

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks gentlemen. That Maser is absolutely gorgeous. I need one of those.  :wub:

I just sprung for the '53 Porsche 550 LeMans coupe. Should be interesting.

I thought HRM and FPP kits were expensive until I saw Hiro stuff. Wow. Guess I still have a lot to learn about this hobby. :D

Good luck on your build. Can’t wait to see it

Hello Bill,

I just started to carry Profil24  in my store.  The limited amount of kits that I have handled so far look very good.   I have started with some of their sports car line up. The full detail Jags and the aforementioned Maserati full detail kit, all look great. The body parts are fairly thin. Not as thin as Plastic kits or HRM's stuff but the next best thing. The photo etch, decals and the vacuum formed windows look good. Instructions look adequate. The curbside kits are thicker body castings with a simple one piece chassis plate.  

I have not had a chance to build one yet so no first hand experience on how they go together. I believe Jason Park did one of the Jags not too long ago on this forum.

Randy

I have the '53 550 Carrera Pan Americana car ("coupe") in the works.  There's a number of inaccuracies but it will build up into an acceptible rendition of the car.  Carefully preassemble the car before you start painting and gluing.  Also, I had to warm up some of the resin to get it to fit properly; namely the front hood and rear engine cover.

The Maser 450S, the Aston Martin DBR1, and the D-type have more detail, and are a little more refined, but will still require plenty of clean-up and test-fitting.