Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fixing the wide front of the Fujimi 917?

Man, this is great. Thanks again to everyone who's posted photos and reference material. Not only is there a lot of stuff here in one thread, but it's a helluva jumping off point for anyone who wants to follow up with more in-depth research. I just wish the book Matt linked to wasn't almost $750. That's a little steep at the moment, though it looks like an invaluable resource.

21 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

JC,

I checked four 917 books and three use the designation LH and one just the letter L.  I did not find any "official" Porsche documentation, yet.  I had assumed the L was a contraction for Langheck.  I will keep looking.

I have seen the Simeone 917LH and the #35 Martini 917K when owned by Bobby Rahal and they are amazing.

Porsche-Excellence Was Expected lists "917L" for the long-tails, "917LH" does not appear.

DSCN6405

Here is my take on it.  The original 917 was sold with two tail sections; long-tail and short-tail.

Original long-tail:

Image result for porsche 917 1969

Original short-tail:

Image result for porsche 917 1969Related imageRelated imageImage result for porsche 917 1969Related image

I believe the "917LH" designation was adopted for the later 1970/1971 long-tail versions to differentiate them from the original 1969 iteration.

Edited by afx