Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41 pickup

Though there may very well be a ridiculous twin-carb adapter that bolts to the stock intake manifold, to get any meaningful performance increase, it would be necessary to provide more "holes" for carbs, rather than trying to flow them both through the flange intended for one on the OEM manifold.

Welding on additional flanges was one way it was done in the early days before catalog-everything.

756322190_dualcarbsstovebolt.jpg.4b9dafb5d81ead45af9bbf1e8f01b172.jpg

A typical twin-carb cast manifold replaced the OEM, like this...

1988288645_dualcarbsstovebolt2.jpg.909bbd9bc6eb64ce2e1d2e2f9f6180cb.jpg

EDIT: For lotsa alternatives in reality, Google image-search "twin carb adaptor stovebolt 6" or similar.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Though there may very well be a ridiculous twin-carb adapter that bolts to the stock intake manifold, to get any meaningful performance increase, it would be necessary to provide more "holes" for carbs, rather than trying to flow them both through the flange intended for one on the OEM manifold.

Welding on additional flanges was one way it was done in the early days before catalog-everything.

A typical twin-carb cast manifold replaced the OEM, like this...

EDIT: For lotsa alternatives in reality, Google image-search "twin carb adaptor stovebolt 6" or similar.

Looks like they were trying to copy the Fenton type intake but didn't see the headers so they made it fit the original somehow. I already have a '37 216 in the collection so I thought i'd do the "hotrod" version but that intake somehow looked suspicious. thanks for the info.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Welding on additional flanges was one way it was done in the early days before catalog-everything. A typical twin-carb cast manifold replaced the OEM, like this...

1988288645_dualcarbsstovebolt2.jpg.909bbd9bc6eb64ce2e1d2e2f9f6180cb.jpg

Modified the weird manifold and mated it to the stock runners to give something similar to your photo. Now do the float chambers go to the back or front?

IMG_9473.JPG

A 216 splash engine with twin carbs must put out about 96 hp flat out for about six minutes then blow up lol !  Sorry, couldn't resist ! Still all in all good stuff. They were great little engines but not much to work with for hot rodding, people tried anyway. BTW 6.5-1 compression ratio !

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

A 216 splash engine with twin carbs must put out about 96 hp flat out for about six minutes then blow up lol !  Sorry, couldn't resist ! Still all in all good stuff. They were great little engines but not much to work with for hot rodding, people tried anyway. BTW 6.5-1 compression ratio !

I'll keep you posted on how it fares. There is an engine rebuilder around here, called FTB who can convert it to inserts and full pressure lubrication.

Edited by landman

20 minutes ago, landman said:

I'll keep you posted on how it fares. There is an engine rebuilder around here, called FTB who can convert it ti inserts and full pressure lubrication.

I'm sure it will be fine, you're not gonna beat on it like the circle track guys did back when I was a kid and at that they didn't do all that bad really in terms of finishing races.